Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Grunt calling?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Grunt calling?

When do you start using a grunt call or doe bleat? Early before rut or during rut? Also Does anyone grunt or bleat when it is still dark ? Does anyone to cover there sound while walking to stand?
Thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Banned

I would only do it in the peak of the rut, and only then if I knew that there was a large buck that I wished to attract.

If you do anything too much - you will scare them and they will quit doing it.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Grunt calls work great from pre rut on through the rut. I'm not sure about post rut as I'm usually tagged out before then.

Here in NE Indiana, mid-October through mid-November is a very hot time for a grunt tube. I like to rattle and grunt together at times. Other times, when a buck doesn't seem to be heading my way, a few short grunts will often times get him turned and coming in to me.

IMO, if you wait until the rut when they are on does, grunting won't work well because they have other things on their mind. Pre-rut seems to be the perfect time around here for calling.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I start using grunt calls as soon as the velvet is off the antlers. According to Greg miller once that velvet comes off pre-rut has started. I haven't used it while still hunting but it would disguise the sound. You want to paint that buck a picture and grunting while walking gives him the impression that a buck is coming. I think it would work IMO!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Spike

Grunts and bleats are an essential part of a deer's vocabulary. I tend to use both pre,peak and post rut. Whos to say that one buck is rutting heavialy while another is not? I dont think there's any harm in using them regardless of the rut condition. A deer is either receptive to it or not and I dont feel that a deer will be spooked or put on edge if it hears it and he's not in full rut. If that deer isn't rutting then it will most likely ignore what it hears and continue on it's way.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Don't be afraid to use a grunt call, but don't get carried away either. I always carry one or two with me when I'm in the woods, sometimes calling blind and sometimes calling to deer I can see. I have always had good luck with one and never spooked a deer. (at least one that I could see)
Old 09-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Spike

Many of the newer calls can do it all, from fawns to snort wheeze, the fawn bleat in the early season will bring the mature does in, I have a freind who is trying to get the coyotes off his lease this year, his call box has a fawn distress it usually brings several does in to investigate. So I would say youll be ok using it now you probally wont spook them unless they sneak up on you and bust you as they did mne last year.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Spike

I use a grunt call in pre rut and during the rut.I'll also use a can call with a grunt call during the rut.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
I would only do it in the peak of the rut, and only then if I knew that there was a large buck that I wished to attract.

If you do anything too much - you will scare them and they will quit doing it.
Where do you get some of the information you post??

To the original poster, I have grunted in deer (bucks and does) on opening day. Depending on the stage of the rut determines how agressive I get. I agree with stabinslab that the pre-rut starts when the bucks shed their velvet. I've also grunted a buck in from over 150 yards away during the first week of December.

I use my calling like this. The first couple weeks of season I only use short contact grunts on deer that I see that I want to try to get to shooting range. Getting into rut I will start "blind" calling. Just throwing out some tending grunts to try to get a deer to come into range that may be out cruising for a doe. I will also throw some doe bleats in there. In late season I have found doe bleats to be the best. Bucks are looking for yearling does that are coming in for the first time and for does that didn't get bred in the first rut.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

[b]
Originally Posted by 2 Lunger; Where do you get some of the information you post??[/b

To the original poster, I have grunted in deer (bucks and does) on opening day. Depending on the stage of the rut determines how agressive I get. I agree with stabinslab that the pre-rut starts when the bucks shed their velvet. I've also grunted a buck in from over 150 yards away during the first week of December.

I use my calling like this. The first couple weeks of season I only use short contact grunts on deer that I see that I want to try to get to shooting range. Getting into rut I will start "blind" calling. Just throwing out some tending grunts to try to get a deer to come into range that may be out cruising for a doe. I will also throw some doe bleats in there. In late season I have found doe bleats to be the best. Bucks are looking for yearling does that are coming in for the first time and for does that didn't get bred in the first rut.

I've been wondering that myself. I would say at least half of his random stories or advice are made up.

Last edited by Pat Curtis; 09-26-2010 at 04:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.