Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbing Tree Stands and Tree Limbs >

Climbing Tree Stands and Tree Limbs

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing Tree Stands and Tree Limbs

Old 07-10-2003, 10:26 AM

Default Climbing Tree Stands and Tree Limbs

I' ve hunted out of fixed tree stands for many years and would like to try a climber since there have been many times that I wish I was in another spot. I would also like to have the flexibility to move around if need be. The question is " How does one manipulate a climber tree stand around tree limbs?" You may think this is a stupid question, but I don' t know anyone who has one and I would really like to know! Thanks for your input!
Old 07-10-2003, 10:35 AM

Default RE: Climbing Tree Stands and Tree Limbs

You dont to dangerous,cut the limb with a small hand saw.I prep all my trees in august,cut limbs and shooting lanes. If I find a new tree later in the season I`ll cut the limbs And hunt out of It next week or look for a tree without limbs.

A hunter with out a safty belt is a hunter in a wheel chair or coffin!
Old 07-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

okiejim, welcome to the board. Bullsi hit it with the saw. Gerber makes a folding hand saw for about $19 that will make short work of limbs big and small and that thing is sharp. I had it slip off a sapling I was cutting last year and it hit me in the leg and did enough damage to put me in the emergency room because I couldn' t get it to stop bleeding. If you get the gerber, just remember it cuts so good because it' s sharp. It also comes with a bone blade that will cut thru the skull of a deer in short order.
Back to the tree trimming, I try to select several trees in the late summer and trim all the limbs that interfere with climbing and shooting. I use to clear large shooting lanes but now I leave alot of that to help hide me from the deer.
Another great time to do the trimming is right after deer season. You' ve got all the deer travel routes fresh in your mind, so go ahead and pick out the trees for next year and trim them.
During the season, if I find a new tree that needs climbing, I just get there earlier than normal and make short work of all the limbs and then settle down in the stand for a hunt. I have had does come up to see what all the sawing was about.
Good luck to you.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is one of the reasons that I don' t usually use a climber. I think the last time I used it was about three years ago. I would rather hunt in trees that have limbs in them for concealment. Being up in a straight tree with no limbs isn' t my thing anymore.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:48 AM

All you can do is cut the limbs if there arnt too many or find a tree without limbs for the first twenty feet or so.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:03 PM

I hunt pretty much only with my climbing Summit stand. I go out in april and may and pick out several trees and climb them cutting any limbs that may be a problem. It never fails that during the season you may need to move to a spot that you weren' t prepared for so get yourself a good folding saw and make sure to leave a little early for that hunt so you can take your time and cut the limbs if needed. It' s a really bad idea to try and go around limbs. That' s why I actually prepare more trees then I will probably use so I don' t have to hunt out of a tree that has freash cut limbs lying under it with fresh scent on them. You are right it is great to have the ability to move anywhere necessary without having to move a fix stand everytime.