Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Rust (assuming) in TC Triumph Barrel >

Rust (assuming) in TC Triumph Barrel

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rust (assuming) in TC Triumph Barrel

Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Spike

Default Rust (assuming) in TC Triumph Barrel

A friend purchased a new ML and gave me his Triumph. It is a basic blued model. Problem is, after shooting it last season, he reloaded and left it in his cool basement with the charge still in it over the summer. When I took it, I removed the breech plug to let the pellets drop out. One did and the other pellet and the sabot were "stuck" in place. It actually took tapping with a hammer on the ramrod to get them to let go and fall out. After this, I looked down the barrel from the breach end and can see a ring of what is probably rust a couple inches in from the breach plug area. Its nice and clean/shiny where the pellets would have sat then there is that ring. Ive tried birchwood casey products, along with brass brush and also 0000 steel wool and it doesnt seem to touch it. I even tried the rust/blue remover from B/C and that doesnt seem to do anything to the ring I can see. When I push a jag/patch thru, it hangs at that spot and I really have to force it to get it to move past. I tried pushing a sabot down thru and can feel it stick there and then with some force it will pass by.

Basically my question is, is this barrel toast now? Will I need a new one to make this gun even useable?

If I need a new barrel, are they only available from TC? I cant find anything online about barrels for the Triumph??

Thanks all

D
Old 12-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe some J&B Bore compound or some Flitz and some elbow grease might get it done.
I hate to hear of a nice muzzy so neglected.Ignorance is bliss.

As far as I know TC would be the only ones who make a barrel for it.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen this happen too often, a Hunter ends the Season with a loaded ML, it was shot and reloaded, the season ended and he said I'll fire it and clean it. Well the days turn into weeks, the weeks into months. All the while the process of corroision starts to eat away at the inside of the barrel. It's called being LAZY!
Chances are the Barrel is Junk, Im not saying this for sure but chances are it is. Im not a TC shooter so I dont know about getting another, but Bergara makes replacement barrels for TC ML'ers, if they have one for the triumph I'd get a Stainless Steel one. Check them out at bergarabarrels.com or call them at (877-892-7544)
Good Luck to you!
(BP)
Old 12-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

tough call...could be that it will work out...tried soaking it in some good rust remover? bluing is a type of rusting, so be careful...i wold imagine it can be fixed rather simple...gun shop near by?
Old 12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
tough call...could be that it will work out...tried soaking it in some good rust remover? bluing is a type of rusting, so be careful...i wold imagine it can be fixed rather simple...gun shop near by?
Rust yes, Pittig NO...if it's pitted its junk.
(BP)
Old 12-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Rust yes, Pittig NO...if it's pitted its junk.
(BP)

my bad, i musta missed the part about it being pitted..i get in a hurry sometimes.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
my bad, i musta missed the part about it being pitted..i get in a hurry sometimes.
Halfbaked he never said it was pitted, for now were just assuming it is, we hope it's not, but if it is, it's a shame......your not bad...LOL
(BP)
Old 12-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

dtabor

I would bet you can salvage that barrel... You would be surprised how well some barrel will shoot even if they have some pitting...

Two things and this is probably the easiest... Contact TC - your gun has a lifetime warranty... they will not replace the barrel as it was consumer neglect... they will however lap the bore for you free of charge (well minus shipping) and they will do a far better job than either I or you if we were to lap it ourselves.

If you want to give a lapping a try - PM Cayugad - he has a lapping procedure already typed up that he can share with you. Everytime I try to write it up I mess it up and leave something out. It is not to difficult just time consuming. Another great resource is Lemoyne...

My choice send it to TC... Call TC and and ask for support and service.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:46 AM
Spike

Thanks all for the replies. Its amazing how fast that powder can kill a barrel!!

sabotloader, before coming on here I tried to contact TC, stayed on hold forever and havent gotten response from me email to them either.....I'll try again.

Thanks again

D
Old 12-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a used White White Lightening in "perfect condition" that had been shot and stored without cleaning. Bore was full of "fuzz" andd the seller disappeared. Cleaned it like you did and got to where I could see pitting. Spent a couple hours with JB Bore paste, smoothed it to where patches ran smooth and the pits appear clean. It now shoots about 2" at 100yds - so I think as sabotloader said, it might be salvagable.
Certainely worth trying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.