Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rossi 50 cal

Old 09-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Spike

Default Rossi 50 cal

Today just picked up a used Rossi 50 caliber ml for $50.00 bucks.The guy said it was only shot about a dozen times.It was so clean it looked brand new.Anyone own this particular ml or have any comments about it(good or bad).Only reason i purchased it was because of the price.1;28 twist, 24in barrel ,209 ign.Gonna try an get out this week an burn some powder through it along with my other smokepoles.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I haven't seen many real good reports on the Rossi Frontstuffer. But what the heck - you paid less than the cost of dinner for two at a nice resturant, and the Rossi will last a lot longer than dinner. All guns are individuals and you may have a great shooter. Let us know how it does.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

i had one and it was a good shooter once i found the right bullet for it ..it likes a tight bullet [ ROSSI barrels are all very easy to load ] my kid brother has one and will not part with it ..[he shoots HORNADY SSTs 250 gr.] they rust very easy and need extra care ,great little ML. in thick bush ..pic below is of me ,ROSSI and a 6 pointer..

Last edited by heinz57; 09-21-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

It will be interesting to see what kind of loads and projectiles it shoots. Keep us posted. As for $50.00 for a rifle, just to have it around to look at it is worth that.

I never shot a Rossi muzzleloader, but when I was kid, Dad's friend had a pump Rossi .22 rifle that was just deadly accurate on squirrels and rabbits. It too was a light weight short little rifle (lost in a fire). Was easy to carry, well balanced, and had a good trigger. They used to let me shoot/use it, and I was a whirlwind on squirrels & rabbits if they turned me loose with it.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Spike

Lapped the barrel on the Rossi tonight in hopes it will shoot somewhat accurate once i find the bullet an the charge it likes but that is most of the fun part to me anyway.With so many bullet confrigations on the market today as well as sabots ...........man i am gonna have a blast just trying so mant different combos i am starting to drool.I do not care if i wasted a few dollars on this ml or not......just gonna have fun no matter what.When all else fails the omega or knight are waiting to be shot also.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do not care if i wasted a few dollars on this ml or not......
Heck Frontstuffer, I don't think there's such a thing as wasting money on a ML, or beer or Scotch for that matter.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Spike

As long as it is good scotch anyway.lol.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Spike

Topped the rossi with a inexpensive simmons prosport 1.5-5+32 scope.After expermenting with different powders an bullett combos the rossi finally setteled down on 90grains pyrodex select an 300 gr 45 caliber bullets.........best grouping was .125 @ 100 yds.At 50 yds the holes were touching .Very warm here yesterday around 80 degrees...........let the barrel cool down 10 minutes between shots.swabbed the barrel every 3 shots.Not to bad shooting factory sabots......may need to try some other sabot an see if i can get that group to tighten up alittle.The breech plug in the gun looks very cheaply made .......does anyone make a better breech plug that will fit the rossi?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

that is a very good group. Nice shooting. As for a new breech plug, I am not sure what you would do.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by frontstuffer01
Topped the rossi with a inexpensive simmons prosport 1.5-5+32 scope.After expermenting with different powders an bullett combos the rossi finally setteled down on 90grains pyrodex select an 300 gr 45 caliber bullets.........best grouping was .125 @ 100 yds.At 50 yds the holes were touching .Very warm here yesterday around 80 degrees...........let the barrel cool down 10 minutes between shots.swabbed the barrel every 3 shots.Not to bad shooting factory sabots......may need to try some other sabot an see if i can get that group to tighten up alittle.The breech plug in the gun looks very cheaply made .......does anyone make a better breech plug that will fit the rossi?
I have the same ML .... how will it shoot .45 cal? My shoots for crap, would like to find the right recipe for it. Been using pellets however been told to try powder.