Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage rifle at walmart >

Savage rifle at walmart

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage rifle at walmart

Old 04-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Spike

Default Savage rifle at walmart

What model is the black Savage rifle/scope combo at Walmart? The price on it is $379. Nobody is everbehind the counter when I'm trying to see the model. The on they have is a .243, but I'm looking for a .270 win. Is the rifle any good? I know the scope isn't all that great but it will for now. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:23 PM

Default RE: Savage rifle at walmart

You can't go wrong with a Savage! They are one, if not the, most accurate out of the box rifles you'll find.
And let us not forget that they are 100% American made right here in the good ol' U.S of A.. That stands for something IMO. Savage gets the job done without all the flash. That's not to say all Savages are plain vanilla, check out the 114/14 Classic or the 116/16 Weather Warrior, they are fine looking.
I tell a lot of my customers to get the Savage, it'll shoot great, and put the rest of thier hardearned roubles towards a nice peice of glass for that new rifle.
BTW the Savage your looking at is probably a model 111/11 FCXP3, FXP3,FYXP3 OR FLYXP3 DEPENDING ON CALIBER AND MAGAZINE. The scope anr't that bad, probably a Simmons or Bushnell.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does it have the Accu-Trigger? If it does, then it is a steal at that price. If not, then it is a decent, but not spectacular, deal. As for the specific model, that depends on type of stock and the type of metal used for the barreled action. If it's blued with a wood stock, it's a Model 10GXP3. If it's matte blue with a synthetic stock, then it's a Model 11FXP3 (or 11FCXP3 if it has a detachable magazine). Or if it's stainless steel with a synthetic stock, it's a Model 16FXP3.

To decipher Savage's model number "code", here's a little primer to help you out:

F: synth stock
G: hardwood stock
B: Laminate wood stock
C: detachable magazine
H: hinged floorplate
L: left hand model
NS: no sights
AK: adjustable muzzlebrake
Y: youth length
V: Varmint contour barrel
SS: stainless steel barreled action
TH: thumbhole stock

The model numbers also have meaning, which will tell you the length of the action and the grade of finish the rifle has. A two digit model is a short action, and a three digit model number is a long action(always by adding a "1" to the beginning of the number). So a Model 14 is a short action, a long action would be a Model 114. The number also indicates the finish grade. The 14/114 is the Classic line, and the top grade finish with gloss blue and wood. The 12/112 are the varmint/target line, the 11/111 is the Hunter, which offers a semi-gloss blued finish, and a satin finish on the wood stocked version. The 10/110 is the matte blue barreled action (except the 10ML muzzleloader, which can be had in stainless steel). The 10/110 is only currently offered in the package guns and the camo Predator Hunter series, and Savage now makes the bottom of the line rifles under the Stevens nameplate.

Overall, the Savage is a good rifle that will most likely be very accurate. The Accu-Trigger, if it has it, is a very good hunting trigger, and the price you noted ranges anywhere from pretty good to a great deal.

Mike

Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy has one that sounds like you're talking about in a .243. He loves that thing and as of right now still has the scope it came with. It killed several deer this year as him and his buddy used it.

I can't say I think all the Savages look the best but I have never and I mean never seen or shot a Savage that has not impressed me. Even ones I wasn't so sure about have impressed me. Not I haven't been around a ton but the ones I have I've liked.

I don't think you can go wrong with one.

I considered one here I'm not sure if it was a model 10 or 11. It was a 30-06 with a synthetic stock and blued barrel with one of the scope package deal things at Wal-Mart here. I looked at this and the Remington 700. The 700 I only looked at as it was on clearance for a super good price. I decided that I really didn't need or care to have a bolt action gun for hunting as I like semi auto's and that I just didn't need it for target shooting.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

My local Wal Mart had one like that a couple years ago in .243 for $349and it was a youth model rifle. The adult size was $399.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Does it have the Accu-Trigger? If it does, then it is a steal at that price. If not, then it is a decent, but not spectacular, deal. As for the specific model, that depends on type of stock and the type of metal used for the barreled action. If it's blued with a wood stock, it's a Model 10GXP3. If it's matte blue with a synthetic stock, then it's a Model 11FXP3 (or 11FCXP3 if it has a detachable magazine). Or if it's stainless steel with a synthetic stock, it's a Model 16FXP3.

To decipher Savage's model number "code", here's a little primer to help you out:

F: synth stock
G: hardwood stock
B: Laminate wood stock
C: detachable magazine
H: hinged floorplate
L: left hand model
NS: no sights
AK: adjustable muzzlebrake
Y: youth length
V: Varmint contour barrel
SS: stainless steel barreled action
TH: thumbhole stock

The model numbers also have meaning, which will tell you the length of the action and the grade of finish the rifle has. A two digit model is a short action, and a three digit model number is a long action(always by adding a "1" to the beginning of the number). So a Model 14 is a short action, a long action would be a Model 114. The number also indicates the finish grade. The 14/114 is the Classic line, and the top grade finish with gloss blue and wood. The 12/112 are the varmint/target line, the 11/111 is the Hunter, which offers a semi-gloss blued finish, and a satin finish on the wood stocked version. The 10/110 is the matte blue barreled action (except the 10ML muzzleloader, which can be had in stainless steel). The 10/110 is only currently offered in the package guns and the camo Predator Hunter series, and Savage now makes the bottom of the line rifles under the Stevens nameplate.

Overall, the Savage is a good rifle that will most likely be very accurate. The Accu-Trigger, if it has it, is a very good hunting trigger, and the price you noted ranges anywhere from pretty good to a great deal.

Mike
Wow, great info. I know it DOES have the Accu-Trigger. Or at least there's a sticker on the bottom of the forearm that says so. It also has the synthetic stock. It did not appear to have a detachable mag. I know the one they had was a .243 and I was gonna ask them if they could order on in .270 but I haven't had a chance so go by lately. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Shawnster88
I boughta Savage package riflein 270 Win. a few years ago and I think it is one great rifle. My son liked it so much that I gave it to him and last week I ordered a new one for myself. I ended up ordering the same gun,it's a 116FXP3 in 270 Win. and it was just over $600.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

An accutrigger makes it a steal.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

In answer to your question...if the metal work is matte finished it is most likely a M110...if stainless it is most likely a M116...I have both (the scopes are lousy).

They are very good to great shooting rifles. I would recommend pairing one with burris ballistic plex scope, a nikon BDC scope or a mil-dot scope in a 4-14X power.

The standard trigger is good...the accu-trigger is great.

BTW: I would also recommend changing the recoil pad...think Limbsaver, etc.