Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Pros and cons - Arrow rests

Old 02-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pros and cons - Arrow rests

I will have 2 bows to shoot with this season and I decieded to set them up a bit different to try out new arrow rests.

My PSE I have been shooting with I put the cajun hoop on . The PSE has been my main bow since I started a few years ago. Up until this year I have used a roller rest and I honestly hate it.

I purchased a Onieda a few weeks back and I am going to put the whisker biscuit on that bow. I have not yet shot this bow but I hear alot of people like them.

I also have not shot with either of these rests. Im sure there are pros and cons with both of these. I know slim was saying that arrows will eventually flat spot on the bottom with the cajun hoop cause of the metal wearing on the arrow. Im not sure I shoot that much though. Anyway I would like to hear everyones opinion on these 2 rests.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pros and cons - Arrow rests

well you all ready heard my opinion. the only down fall to the whisker biscut is that after 2000 shots or so they do wear out. just gota buy a replacement biscut for 10 bucks. also i would cut the top out of it so you dont have to thread the arrow in from the front. i cut out about 30 degrees.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Whisker Biscuit is a well-know rest with a good rep. I have a compound set up with the Fishook rest by Muzzy. I like it alot. It's tough, inexpensive and easy to adjust. I've only heard of one guy who didn't like it because he said he couldn't get it tight. Mine has never come loose and I've dropped the bow numerous times and have never had a problem with it.

The Wave Rest is a good one too. Easily adjustable and relatively inexpensive.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 AM

I use that wave rest and have not had any problems with it. I also use a whisker biscuit. Both of the guys I shoot with from time to time shoot the biscuit too. We've noticed that some super glue on the whiskers that are right below the arrow help keep them stiff. fishin arrows are so heavy it doesn't seem to take them long to wear them out and sit on the bottom. it's hard to beat the "won't fall off" factor of the biscuit as your movin around the boat when things get hectic.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a home made rest. Dr. Rob showed me how. Take a Eyebolt. stick it through the hole in the riser. It will not tread through. Use a washer and nut ont he back side. You can use washers or spacers on the eyebolt side for arrow adjustment. I have now used the same eyebolt for the last 7 years. Like Slim says it does flat spot on the bottom, but i do not see how this affects anything. I like the fact that the arrow will never fall off. I also like the fact that it cost less than a dollar. But is will not work with an AMS Slide. The plastic slide stopper will hit the rest although it will on the cajan loop as well.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

My advice would be if you want to get good, pick one and stay with it. I use the biscuit on my Oneida and love it. I have a recurve with the fish hook and like that too. Practice in your yard to make sure yoursetup is on, then stick with it all year. Don't go fiddlin with it just because you want to try something different. Shoot with it at least a couple of times a week. If you want to be competitive in a tournament, the last thing you want to be working on is your bow setup. Cause the other guys have theirs dialed in and then some.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

I used to use a loop rest but it did beat up on my arrows with slides pretty badly. In the dark, you're tired and you're in hurry to get a second shot off, occasionally you'll put the arrow on safety slide side down. The screw will hit the loop and either get bent or tear out. Do that a couple times and the back end of the arrow starts to fracture.

I then used a brass roller for awhile. Cheap but the arrow falls off easy. Didn't care for an epoxy rest.

Now I use a whisker biscuit that Slim gave me. That thing rocks. I wish I would have made the switch years ago.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

whisker biscut there is a new one out from trophey ridge that already has the top cut out and is easy to replace the insert. There is no downfall to this rest it works great and loads fast. This is the only rest I will shoot.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

the problem i have with wearing a flat on the arrow is that it gets the arrow "hairy" with tiny fiberglass splinters and i feel them in my hand for a day after i get home. i change my arrows out when they start gettin smaller behind the point from shootin so many gar. i hate splinters!
the solid rests wont wear out though
Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slim, never have noticed any splinters from the arrows. I have had a slight problem about once or twice a day or night the line will catch on the eyebolt. But if you keep the line knot on the Left side this does not even happen.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons - Arrow rests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.