Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Using the Montana X-treme products >

Using the Montana X-treme products

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Using the Montana X-treme products

Old 02-06-2009, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Using the Montana X-treme products

Any chance any of what was coming out was a result of a reaction from the brass and the solvent?

I always wonder about this when using a brush>

Steve
Old 02-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Steve when I talked to the company they felt it was pulling old carbon particles from the pores of the metal. Whether this is what it is, I could not say. But the real surprise is, you give it your normal cleaning treatment. One that I might add I have been using for thirty years with no ill effects such as rusting. And then you do this one treatment with their solvent and the patch looks like you were wiping out ashtrays... something in there was being missed. I don't think you'd get that much reaction to the brass brush. I wish I was a chemist, so I could break that down and see what it really was.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave - I am going to the big sportsman show in Harrisburg next - will pick some up to try.

Just had a thought - I will get a nylon brush as well and try that first.

Then go with a brass to see if there is a noticable difference.

Steve
Old 02-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I just checked that .58barrel again. I ran a dry patch to see if the bore conditioner got anything else out from sitting over night. There was just a very very small foul trace on the patch. Then I dropped a bore light down the barrel and it looks as good as the day I bought the barrel. So I coated it again and set it up.

Now I am not sure what rifle I want to shoot today. I have some loads I wanted to try in my Genesis, but this .58 really has my interest. Maybe do both of them.

And I got an old .54 caliber Renegade barrel out of my parts stock. This barrel is old but was always kept up well (or so I think). I might give that a scrub today and see what happens. Then maybe I don't want to know....
Old 02-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cay...It would be interesting if you cleaned that barrel again with the brass brush and then swab again with patches and see if they come out clean...Several years ago, I had a buddy with a ml that needed a good cleaning and after cleaning with patches and then a brass brush I was getting dirty patches...
I believe what I was seeing was residue from the brush...
Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Banned

i may have to pick up some of this. that mountain stalker i have, has some lead build up. that would be interesting to see if it takes out over a period of time.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've read a lot of the post on this and there are some good points (i.e.: Semisane's when is it clean enough) Actually, I feel the more you crudcan get out of the barrel the better off you are. Even if your POI changes. You can always readjust the sights. Now, if there is a major POI change from the first to the second shot then you may have a problem. But I don't see that happening either because with the BC, there should be LESS fouling and a spit patch should remove it easily.
IMO any carbon residue in the barrel is a point for moisture to collect, hence rust to start. A coating of gun oil or other rust preventative should stop this from happening if that area is treated. But not having the residue there is even better.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
mountaineer magic

Well I have an interesting observation also. I just happened to pass by Lock stock and barrel when I was picking up the wife's cow, so I stopped in and bought some of the Montana X bore conditioner everyone seems to be testing. I had a few days and never used it till Daves post here. ( Don't jump all over me about the next statement) I have for years used bore butter and I've been treated like I was dumber than a rock at times simply for using it instead of a good gun oil. Anyway being a cleaning nut I was curious to try it out. I cleaned the bore butter out , patches looked clean, used Butch's solvent, patches still looked clean, dry patched and then went in with the Montana and the patches still came out clean. I couldn't get any fouling or anything out of the barrel. So either I didn't do it right or my years of Bore Butter actually paid off. That is why I would be interesed in the experiment for rusting using the various treatments. I have 2 bottles of Montana so I will keep using it but I think I will continue to use my Bore Butter also in spite of the flack I will probably continue to receive.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I never give flack to anyone for using bore butter. All I tell them is.. its your rifle. Do what you want. I used bore butter for years. It just did not work for me and I am 100% sure it was my fault. But I tried all the different methods and finally found something that did work.

Today I took the Remington Genesis out to the range. This is the third trip since it got a Montana X-treme treatment. I dry swabbed the bore and decided I wanted to shoot pellets (walmart after season sale.. I could not resist). I swabbed with a very very light moisture spit patch, and not dry patch to follow. That simple light, almost dry spit patch pulled that Pyrodex RS fouling out of the barrel perfect. I did note that when I did not swab I got a different POI but as long as I swabbed it laid them right in there.

When I cleaned the rifle, I broke it down and first patch was a Windex patch, just to remove the bulk of the fouling. (I mean why waste my solvent). Then I used two patches of the Cowboy Solvent and the third one was clean. So I dry patched the barrel, they were clean. So I then applied a patch with some Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner. Pretty fast clean up today. Was it because of the Montana products or the rifle is easy to clean... I think a little of both. But I am pretty satisfied with this Montana X-treme solvent, bore conditioner, and oil so far. I will keep using it. Especially after you see what that Genesis did with pellets on the Montana products..
Old 02-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave - I do have one question. Why use the gun oil in addition to the bore conditioner? From what I've read on the BC, it IS a highly refined oil. Seems like the x-treme gun oil is not necessary.

Quick Reply: Using the Montana X-treme products

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.