Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field Dressing Kit - Revised

Old 01-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default Field Dressing Kit - Revised

Can someone recommend a good field dressing kit that will last. Which knives are best? Are foreign made as good as US made? I have seen a big price difference. Which would be best to buy?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Field Dressing Kit

Kit? You just need a good sharp knife. Gut hooks are nice but not necessary.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

X 2. Depending how you field dress you may want some string,game bag,deer drag, latex gloves, etc. But, to actually do the job you just need a knife and most folders are capable. You'd be suprised how little of a knife it takes.

Now if you get into skinning and boning out the animal, that is a different storry.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:03 PM

My "kit" is a 4" fixed blade knife, a tiny little gerber hatchet (for the pelvis... I know, I could use a knife, but this is way easier), and a pair of rubber gloves. When I hunt with my FIL, I also carry a 1 gallon zip lock bag (he likes liver, me? not so much). In the truck I leave a 5 gallon bucket for rinsing.

OH, somebody gave me a "butt-out" for Christmas as a jokea few years ago. I haven't tried it yet.

-nosualc

ps - My knife is a Knives of Alaska fixed blade (it was a gift a few years ago; they don't make the same model anymore), but I really like the Gerber Gator and Buck Vanguard.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I use is a Buck 110 folding knife ($22) when you can catch them on sale. A small gerber tree saw($12)for the pelvis and a pair of latex gloves (free cause they have them at work). If you do decide on a buck knife be carefull and look real good at the packageing, a lot of them are coming out of China. I'm sure they are OK but I'd rather have the 110, they are made in the USA.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

We kill and clean 40-50 deer a year...I don't usually gut them, just thow them on the 4-wheeler and take them to the barn and hang them on the hoist...I also don't use a saw, except to cut the legs off the shoulders or maybe the hams...I either bone out the meat when I clean them or take my knife and cut down to the ball and socket on the ham and pop it out, no need to cut the pelvis...

I've skinned and boned out many with a little 2 1/2 inch drop point folding Buck that I've had for about 25 years...If I were to buy a knife today for the process, I'd probably go with the Buck Gen 5, it's a 3 inch drop point and is all you need...If you prefer a folder, the Buck Ranger has a 3 inch clip point that will do the job...A non folding knife is just a little easier to clean after the job is done...

btw...I use a mider box saw that you can buy from Lowes for cutting the legs off...

As far as foreign steel, the guys I know that have bought them have been dissapointed...Bucks are made in the US and are very good knives...

If you want a different knife than a Buck, look at Anza knives...They are made from a file and I had a nice 3 inch drop point that I kept on my 4-wheeler until someone else decided they needed it more than I...
Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

You should try the butt-out. Works great. You don't even need to split the pelvis.
ORIGINAL: nosualc

My "kit" is a 4" fixed blade knife, a tiny little gerber hatchet (for the pelvis... I know, I could use a knife, but this is way easier), and a pair of rubber gloves. When I hunt with my FIL, I also carry a 1 gallon zip lock bag (he likes liver, me? not so much). In the truck I leave a 5 gallon bucket for rinsing.

OH, somebody gave me a "butt-out" for Christmas as a joke a few years ago. I haven't tried it yet.

-nosualc

ps - My knife is a Knives of Alaska fixed blade (it was a gift a few years ago; they don't make the same model anymore), but I really like the Gerber Gator and Buck Vanguard.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

My mistake.
I meant a processing kit with all the knives and tools for field dressing and butchering.
Are they worth buying, and does it make your job easier?
Thanks.

ORIGINAL: jrfrmn

Can someone recommend a good field dressing kit that will last. Which knives are best? Are foreign made as good as US made? I have seen a big price difference. Which would be best to buy?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just use a knife. There is no need for a saw. I debone the whole deer with one knife . when cutting it up further i use my kitchen knives
Old 01-30-2009, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: RenaissanceBiker

Kit? You just need a good sharp knife. Gut hooks are nice but not necessary.
ditto

Quick Reply: Field Dressing Kit - Revised

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.