Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats the advantage of rubber boots? >

Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

I have light weight normal gore tex hunting boots for bow hunting, and big heavy gore tex boots for late season hunting, what is the advantage of using rubber boots, i never understood it because i would think the rubber smell would scare deer away?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

For me, I am more about the waterproof advantages as opposed to scent. I've worn my leather boots without scent being a problem, they all get stored the same way. My rubbers come to my knee, so I can cross deeper water, but otherwise, my leathers are more comfortable.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:26 AM

x2 what yoopermike said ive got crick crossings that levels fluctuate so its more water than smell
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are waterproof...

They DECREASE the scent from your feet because rubber wont hold scent like cloth and other materials
Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

When someone shows me proof that rubber boots leave less of a scent trail than say a leather boot - I will believe it.

I wore those uncomfortable and non-breathing boots (rubber) for many years. Getting constantly ground scented by deer - I came to a conclusion - if they can still detect me - I might as well be comfortable - and protect my ancles!

About5 years ago I started wearing leather boots again - which are FAR more comfortable, they breath to allow me to keep my feet more comfortable and warmer, and are far easier to take off and put on.

Since changing, I've noticed very little differance if any in getting ground scent checked by deer. If anything, and this is the best part, I think I used to get worse results when wearing rubber boots and spraying them with scent elimination (supposidly) spray!

A master whitetail hunter told me many years ago - "you ever smell a rubber boot".Yeah, it sticks! Now smell a typical leather boot after the break-in period! I actually just motivated myself to smell my Wolverine boots (leather) - compared to a rubber boot. The difference is UNBELIEVEABLE! The leather boot has a very subtle leather smell, the rubber is almost gaggingstrong after using them for YEARS! It pretty much made me realize that rubber does nothing in preventing human scent from hitting the ground. I think about 95% of the scent DOES NOT come from contact, but instead is left behind from our "stink" that is constantly cascading off our bodies as we walk.

Think about this. Consider how far you walk in a pair of boots to get to certain stands. Do you not think that the ground, mud, dirt, rocks, water, brush - would actually "scrub" your boots as you walk? It does. When walking through wet clay here in Iowa - I sometimes have completely covered boots - packed full of mud by the time i reach my stand. Even though the entire contact area of my boots have been "clogged" - they will still know you walked through. You will NEVER eliminate this from happening - NO MATTER WHAT! Bloodhounds have proven this - yet hunters think these "promotions" are fact. It is not.

Of course, this is only my opinion based on my experiences in the last 19 years of bowhunting. My rule of thumb is to do whatever I can possibly do to avoid walking in an area I expect a deer to come through. If I am forced to, I walk where I can shoot because any mature deer will slam on the breaks at the slightest amount of human scent. Depending on the particular animal, the time of year, and the amount of pressure in an area, a deer will react differently every-time. Often times here in Iowa, because I hunt some very un-molested properties, mature does will act as curious toward human scent as scared. I've also had 4-1/2 and 5-1/2 year old bucks hit my scent, catch it, and because of the rut - they just keep looking for does. We have countless encounters with mature bucks caught on-camera where they clearly have caught our direct wind-line, and after a short pause, continue on their "merry" way in-pursuit of hot does. We have two examples of this with two different 4-1/2 year old bucks on one hunt this season alone, both on the same night. A 145" ten and a 150" non-typical. They had us busted at 30 yards, both nailed us in the exact same spot.One actually proceeded to make a scrape to almost displaya dominance overus - the other just stopped, looked in our direction, and keptwalking toward the doe bedding area he was heading to in the first place!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wear Rocky knee high rubber boots when it's mild out. When it gets REALLY cold I switch to my ice fishing boots.

The only negative about my rubber Rocky's are that now that they're 7+ years old the rubber has cracked where the boot folds on top of my toes as I walk. I've put Shoe-Goo on it at the beginning of the last 2 seasons....and they're good as new.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

When someone shows me proof that rubber boots leave less of a scent trail than say a leather boot - I will believe it.

I wore those uncomfortable and non-breathing boots (rubber) for many years. Getting constantly ground scented by deer - I came to a conclusion - if they can still detect me - I might as well be comfortable - and protect my ancles!

About5 years ago I started wearing leather boots again - which are FAR more comfortable, they breath to allow me to keep my feet more comfortable and warmer, and are far easier to take off and put on.

Since changing, I've noticed very little differance if any in getting ground scent checked by deer. If anything, and this is the best part, I think I used to get worse results when wearing rubber boots and spraying them with scent elimination (supposidly) spray!

A master whitetail hunter told me many years ago - "you ever smell a rubber boot".Yeah, it sticks! Now smell a typical leather boot after the break-in period! I actually just motivated myself to smell my Wolverine boots (leather) - compared to a rubber boot. The difference is UNBELIEVEABLE! The leather boot has a very subtle leather smell, the rubber is almost gaggingstrong after using them for YEARS! It pretty much made me realize that rubber does nothing in preventing human scent from hitting the ground. I think about 95% of the scent DOES NOT come from contact, but instead is left behind from our "stink" that is constantly cascading off our bodies as we walk.

Think about this. Consider how far you walk in a pair of boots to get to certain stands. Do you not think that the ground, mud, dirt, rocks, water, brush - would actually "scrub" your boots as you walk? It does. When walking through wet clay here in Iowa - I sometimes have completely covered boots - packed full of mud by the time i reach my stand. Even though the entire contact area of my boots have been "clogged" - they will still know you walked through. You will NEVER eliminate this from happening - NO MATTER WHAT! Bloodhounds have proven this - yet hunters think these "promotions" are fact. It is not.

Of course, this is only my opinion based on my experiences in the last 19 years of bowhunting. My rule of thumb is to do whatever I can possibly do to avoid walking in an area I expect a deer to come through. If I am forced to, I walk where I can shoot because any mature deer will slam on the breaks at the slightest amount of human scent. Depending on the particular animal, the time of year, and the amount of pressure in an area, a deer will react differently every-time. Often times here in Iowa, because I hunt some very un-molested properties, mature does will act as curious toward human scent as scared. I've also had 4-1/2 and 5-1/2 year old bucks hit my scent, catch it, and because of the rut - they just keep looking for does. We have countless encounters with mature bucks caught on-camera where they clearly have caught our direct wind-line, and after a short pause, continue on their "merry" way in-pursuit of hot does. We have two examples of this with two different 4-1/2 year old bucks on one hunt this season alone, both on the same night. A 145" ten and a 150" non-typical. They had us busted at 30 yards, both nailed us in the exact same spot.One actually proceeded to make a scrape to almost displaya dominance overus - the other just stopped, looked in our direction, and keptwalking toward the doe bedding area he was heading to in the first place!
Thats good to hear, i dont think im going to bother wasting 120 bucks on rubber boots when my leather boots are just as good for not being winded by deer.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:24 PM
bigcountry

I like them because they are cheap, (relatively comapred to a quality leather danner), waterproof, easy to put on, scent control (possibly), and my lacrosse 1200gr is dad gone comfortable compared to any boot I have had.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing that matters is having a lucky bar of soap[8D]

I'll never figure deer out. I've had them hit my track and come unglued and I have had them circle around and go right down my track while I was tracking them. I also know if I go out in deep snow and plow a nice trail the deer will start using it right away.

I think rubber does a better job of holding back HUMAN scent. I've been told older rubber boots don't work as good. I use rubber boots.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

Thats good to hear, i dont think im going to bother wasting 120 bucks on rubber boots when my leather boots are just as good for not being winded by deer.
ABarOfSoap, I wouldn't read that as gospel as my findings are 100% different UNLESS you really spray your leather boots down with scent killing products. I've watched button buck fawns scent trail my trail and spook when wearing leather boots and while wearing rubber boots, that's never happened. Coupled with some curiosity scent I've had mature bucks scent trail my rubber boots without spooking. I've also killed several mature bucks that crossed my path where I've worn rubber boots. I haven't seen that "luck" while wearing leather boots unless I laced them with scent killing sprays.

I don't care what anyone else does nor writes, I've seen what I've seen and I'll hunt better because of experiences. I'll wear rubber boots most of the time!

Quick Reply: Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.