Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 compare browning a bolt to ruger 77 or remington 700 >

compare browning a bolt to ruger 77 or remington 700

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

compare browning a bolt to ruger 77 or remington 700

Old 12-25-2008, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: compare browning a bolt to ruger 77 or remington 700

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I never could understand why in the world anybody would quit making tang safety like Ruger did or choose a rifle where you have to completely remove your grip in order to manipulate safety whereas with a tang safety (like old style Ruger or Browning A-bolt) the safety lies naturally directly under thumb.
You must have short thumbs then. I just checked my M77 MK-II and I do not have to completely remove my grip to take the safety off. Putting the safety back to safe does require a little more movement though.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:37 AM
c j
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I never could understand why in the world anybody would quit making tang safety like Ruger did or choose a rifle where you have to completely remove your grip in order to manipulate safety whereas with a tang safety (like old style Ruger or Browning A-bolt) the safety lies naturally directly under thumb.
And honestly, I can't understand why all the other manufacturers don't go to a 3 position safety like Ruger adopted. Different strokes for different folks, Iguess. I have a few of the old style tang safety Rugers and I much prefer the new 3-position. I can honestly say the 3-position has never in any way impeded my efforts in the field. Not once.

But, If you don't think you have time to switch it from full safe (all the way in the rear position) to 'fire', then you can leave it in the middle position (which is where it's still on 'safe', but now the bolt is unlocked, for those unfamiliar) and from there it's just a quick flip to the forward (fire) position. And that you can do as you are shouldering the gun, if you so choose.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:15 PM

I have fired the A-bolt and I do like it, but the Ruger uses the Mauser action to which all others are compared, to me that says a lot!
As for Remington I have been hearing a lot of negitive feedback from some as to the quality of the rifles they produce lately.
I guess either of them should serve you well, and with reasonable care should last longer thanwould matter to you.
The 60 deg bolt lift isn't all that it's hyped up to be. I have a Savage mod 25 which also has the 60 deg lift and all it does for me is increase the effort needed to cycle the bolt. You must do the same ammount of work in a shorter space which increases the resistance.
The A-Bolt is a beautiful and well made rifle, I don't intend my remarks to show it in a bad light, it's just that the Mauser action has been arround for at least 112 years and that is a reflection of a success story!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never had or seen a non mauser action or "push feed" that failed to feed or extract a round.

I also never saw a custom rifle maker or a military sniper use a browning a bolt, and defiantly not a ruger.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own all three. I rate them in this order...

Remington BDL #1
Browning A Bolt #2
Remington SPS #3
Ruger Dead Last. (Last Ruger I will ever own, unless I steal it)

I like my SPS and it shoots as good as the A Bolt, after a trigger job, but the fit and finish just aren't there. I like the A Bolt and my 700's about the same.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:54 PM

Well, I like to shoot little bitty groups, that's why I shoot Savage!