Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Cover Scent Recipe?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:29 PM

Default Homemade Cover Scent Recipe?

Homemade Cover Scent Recipe?
Anyone have a good one?

Baking soda, distilled water, hydrogen peroxide, odor free shampoo?

How much and how?
What's your recipe?
I hunt Texas Hill country by the way?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:12 PM

Default RE: Homemade Cover Scent Recipe?

I've used baking soda water. I'm sold on it. Just make sure to shake it well and don't use too much powder or your spray will get clogged. Very cheap so you can just bathe yourself in it. Maybe 1/4 baking soda to 3/4 water or maybe even not that strong.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 PM

I did the math for a recipe I saw in an outdoor mag. for a homemade scent & the cost is about the same for one of the scent elimation sprays from BassPro. I liked the convenince as well just grab and go. Also I boughta kit thatcontained deodrant,soap & spray for about $12 on sale. I talked to a few folks about the Primos formulation w/silver and they sounded pretty high. The deer will tell.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Here is my math.
2-16oz containers of hydrogen peroxide=$1.49
1-box baking soda=$.50 (only needed 1/4 for recipe so $.05?)
1-cap of hunter laundry detergent = $.25?
32 oz of distilled water=$.50? (boil your own bottled spring water)

Total yield = 64oz
Total cost = $2.29
32 + 12 ozat Walmart will cost around $8.50
Your savings is $6.21 and you get 20 ozadditional homemade scent neatrilizer that works as well as the store bought stuff. ( I am not comparing this to the Primos silver)
This stuff isvery easy to make.This is the core ingredientsto most recipes found on the net.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Bodine - not challenging your math just itemized my findings.
To answer the initial request here is arecipe I follow. I initially capped off after 3 days and discovered my plastic containers were starting to bulge. I uncapped for another 2 days and the outgassing stopped.

Scent Control Formula

2 Bottles of hydrogen peroxide 16oz
32 oz of distilled water
¼ cup baking soda
1 oz sportsman’s wash laundry detergent or any unscented detergent
(option) You can use ½ oz hunter soap earth scent. If you use the earth scent soap, cut the laundry detergent to 1/2 oz.

First poor hydrogen peroxide in bottle or some large open container. Then add the distilled water. Then you add the baking soda and the unscented soap. STIR DO NOT SHAKE!
I use a wood spoon and stir the ingredients together. I will add very small amounts of baking soda at a time stirring until it is completely dissolved. Let this ferment for three days stirring one or twice a day. Do not seal tight in the first 3 days because it may build up pressure and explode. After the three days I store the scent killer in dark containers like the peroxide containers and in my spray bottles. Light breaks down hydrogen peroxide. I have great luck with this formula.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 AM

thanks fellas for the recipes. I'll make sure to let mine breath for 4-5 days.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:34 PM

Math skills bad anyway & your formula is simpler that the other I saw. When I have the commercial brand used I will keep the spay bottle and put in your formula.What about your thoughts on the Deodorant and shampoo that came with my kit??
Old 10-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

I made some similar to that, but I didn't use any scent free soap. I took one of the water dispensers that sit on a stand. Like thats in an office. I took one of those, and bought a gallon of distilled water. I got 4 bottles of hydrogen peroxide. and 2 big boxes of baking soda. I mixed that all together really well. I let it sit for prolly 3 or 4 days or just til You can't smell the peroxide anymore. If You cover it it'll get pressure so let the pressure off everyday. Anyways this seemed to work really good. I would take clothes that had smell on them, and spray them down wait for them to dry. It seemed to take all the smell out them so I guessed it was working. I just put it in My old scent away bottles, and used it. Saved Me a bunch because I made a bunch.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

I read once where if you take some acorns and leaves and steep them, like tea, then filter out the solids, it will make a good cover scent for hardwoods. Ditto for pine needles in the pine forest. I've done it a time or two; be sure to refrigerate it or it'll get moldy.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Spike

I store my hunting clothes in a plastic bag with hickory leaves...

Quick Reply: Homemade Cover Scent Recipe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.