Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 VIRGINIA RUT WATCH! >

VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Virginiashadow Last time you picked the weather I got that 6 pointer. Going out tomorrow to the same place. lets see if it works again.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Spike

calling for some rain to come later in the week, 80% on thursday and 40% on friday. Do you guys think that will change the activity much? or will the bucks still be chasing in the rain?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Imop. I think the rain might make the buck take a rest for thursday.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bush--tomorrow will be a good day for sure..it will be the best day until nexy week in my opinion. I arrowed a decent 6 pointer today. Let him lay overnight, gonna try and go get him in the morning.

Brett

Old 11-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Lost a nice 8 pointer tonight with at least a 18 or 19 inch spread.I grunted him in using the Primos can and the Primos buck roar.Shot him at 35 yards using open sights and not sure if I knocked him down or not.Went over and found blood and tracked him for over a 100 yards and he circled back and crossed ariver onto posted property I dont have permission to hunt.I was dissappointed a lot but next year Lord willing I will have a scope on my muzzleloader.Dont think they are rutting but man the calls work great right now! Mike
Old 11-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been hunting since Friday the 7th through yesterdayand all I can say is if you can go, go now! Both of the farms I hunted had lots of action like bucks with does, chasing does, responding to calls/scents.

On Fri(only slow day)& Sat I bp hunted in Dinwiddie county and killed a 6 (Sat am)working a scrape line.My brother was bowhunting on the other side of the farm and saw a nice 8 but he was bowhunting and could not get a clean shot.

Monday and Tuesday found us on the Eastern Shorefor an action packed Mondaymorning. My brother took his first ever bow buck(spike) and saw two other bucks and two does. I missed one(doe) clean with my blackpowder.....don't ask.

After processing his deer around 2:00we were driving to a different farm and I was showing some of the other land I could hunt when we spotted a big 8 with a doe in the middle of a bean field I could hunt. There was good cover between us and the deer and I drove up to a pull off and parked snuck down the back side of the field and set up in the back corner where we have some stands. I watched him for about 30 minutes acrossthe field and he was being led around by the doe until they finally went into a pine cutover never getting close enough for a good shot. Evening hunt was slow I passed on some does but saw no bucks with them.

The way it worked out thenext day three of us ended up hunting the area(which is two bean fields and a block of woods seperating them)we had seen the buckand the doe in and the way itplayed out was unreal.The buck and the doe showed up in the bean field aroud 915within a few hundred yards of where we had seen him the day before. Fortunately for us we set up a perimeter around this field and once they came in there was no way out without going past one of the three unless they just went straight back the way they came. So for the second day in a row I got to watch this dude hound this doe right in front of meand both days he got within about 130-140 yards of me and that in itself was awesome. She ended up leading him right past my buddy Matt (HNI Member Name: MDS184122577) and he made a great shot at about 80 yards that anchored the buck on the spot. You talk about some happy hunters,Matt, my brother, and I stood in that field around that buck and justyucked it up for a while,unbelieveable hunt.

We only had camera phones in the field so the pic quality isn't great but when we got back to the skinning shed my other buddy took a bunch with his digital so I'm sure he will e-mail me in a couple of weeks. We saw one other buck about this size at 11:15 but he was on some bordering land and on the move away from our land. Action seemed hot & heavy the past few daysbetween 8am and 2pm with several bucks seen making rounds or tending with limited sightings in the evenings(1 buck and some does). Both deer had stinky black tarsals but the big boys entire backlegs were black and sticky form his tarsals down. Sorry so long, good luck.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good work NEW. I told you the action would pick up for you! Family and hunting, sounds great to me. Noone in my family hunted so I am really hoping to see my 4 year old son take an interest. I need a hunting buddy!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya Shadow, my brother is stationed in Germany and missed all of last season being in Iraq so having him home and being able to hunt a few days has been awesome.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

IM NEW TO THIS SITE BUT IT SEEMS TO BE GREAT. I HUNT IN SUSSEX COUNTY. I HAVE OVLY SEEN A 6-POINT FOLLOWING A DOE AND HE WAS ABOUT 20 MINUTES BEHIND HER BUT HIS NOSE WAS STUCK TO THE GROUND. I WAS SITTING BESIDE A TREE AND HE WALKED WITHIN 10' OF ME. THATS ALL THE ACTIVITY I'VE SEEN. IM SEEING DOES IN THE FIELDS BUT NO BUCKS WITH THEM??? HOPEFULLY IT WILL START SOON.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

HEY I FORGOT ALSO THIS MORNING ON MY WAY TO WORK THERE WERE TWO 8-POINTERS FIGHTING IN A BEAN FIELD AT ABOUT 6:30. GOOD LUCK YALL

Quick Reply: VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.