Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Red Dot Scope for Deer >

Red Dot Scope for Deer

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Red Dot Scope for Deer

Old 03-22-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Red Dot Scope for Deer

I would like to try a Red Dot Scope for Deer,as I hunt in a thick area and never shoot more than 50 yards and most deer are shot at 30 yards.Many times you don' t have a lot of time so a quick aim and shoot is important.I use a rifle not a shotgun.Any good ideas as I hear some Red Dots are now 2x instead of 1x power.Thanks
Old 03-23-2003, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Red Dot Scope for Deer

I have a Tasco Pro-Point mounted on a 15" Encore barrel chambered in the 7mm-08! Shoots good,and I took a buck at 80 yards with it...I woulden' t try any longer shots with it...
Old 03-23-2003, 05:59 PM

i have a simmons which i use on my rem 1100 sometimes.

i hear the bushnell red-dot works well.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

I like red dots on my hunting rifles, and have been using them increasingly for about the last 10 years. Actually, all of my hunting rifles wear red dots or variations, and more than half the guys in my hunting camp have switched over.

There' s a bit of a learning curve, but once you' re used to them you' ll find they' re the quickest and most positive sighting system you' ve ever used.

I don' t use magnification so I can' t comment on that part of your question.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:53 PM

used one on my .357 to take a buck at 25yards this year. i like it a lot for easy aiming but on a handgun it does add a lot of weight. i took it off recently just to mix things up a bit. i am constantly afraid i will run out of battery power though. can anyone comment on battery life on these things?
Old 03-25-2003, 07:20 PM

Rick-What size moa?How far do you feel you can make clean shots?Any Red Dot brand you guys find best?Thanks
Old 03-26-2003, 05:31 PM

propmahn,
What loads do you use in the .357? I thought about using my GP100 sometime for very close deer hunting but all the magazines say it isn' t enough. Of course, there are some great new bullets out there.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:13 PM

I have the Bushnell Pro Multi Red Dot scope mounted on my Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag 12 gauge, 28inch all cammo shotgun. This scope is fanastic, and has 4 different moa settings, and also gives you a crosshair to aim with to if you want that to. And it is available on Cabellas web site under hunting/optics then go to red dots. About 110 dollars but it is worth the price in my opinon. Sits right on top my weaver mount and it is unlimited eye relief which you need when you shoot the heavy 3.5 inch magnum shotgunshells.
Swampchopper
Old 03-29-2003, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the info.Any one use the leupold/gilmore red dot ?
Old 03-29-2003, 10:13 AM

I have used the Tasco PDP3 and the C-More sight on IPSC pistols. BOth work great. I personally like the C-More since it is just a ring instead of a tube. Never used one hunting though.

Quick Reply: Red Dot Scope for Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.