Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois Muzzloader and Permit Question?? >

Illinois Muzzloader and Permit Question??

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Muzzloader and Permit Question??

Old 07-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Illinois Muzzloader and Permit Question??

Can anyone tell me if you can use a muzzleloader during the first firearms season in Illinois?? The hunting digest was a little confusing and I couldnt fully understand it. (It has shotgun, handgun andmuzzloader listed under the first firearm season, but then under the muzzloader season it only has the second firearm season and the regular muzzloader season listed). Also, I used my credit card for my NR Firearm permit and the transaction went through on the next day. Does anyone know if theydo that whether you get one or not and then give you a refund if you dont or does that mean I am safe and got one???
Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois Muzzloader and Permit Question??

Since I am the first to see this I'll throw in my .02 worth. I am just about sure you can use your muzzleloader for the shotgun season unless they just changed the rules, I am not a muzzleloader guy so its never applied to me. With your credit card, they process it right way (At least for me they did) even before you get your permits. They want your cash ASAP, that's how these crooks work. If you are unsussessful then they will mail you a check from the IDNR at some point. Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastetti

With your credit card, they process it right way (At least for me they did) even before you get your permits. They want your cash ASAP, that's how these crooks work. If you are unsussessful then they will mail you a check from the IDNR at some point. Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck!
The aboveis true.

You can use a muzzle loader during the regular firearm season. The other season you mentioned is MUZZLELOADER ONLY season and is a totally separate permit from Firearm season. The Muzzle loader only permit is valid during the second 4 day portion of the regular firearm season and the Friday, Saturday and Sunday following the second portion of the firearm season, but can only be filled using a Muzzle Loader regardless of which segment it is used during. Hopefully, this all makes sense.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks to both of you. You were both very helpfull. After reading the hunting digest again, your explanation about the muzzloader permit makes a lot of sense. Now I just have to wait and see if I get a permit and then decide if I want to use the T/C in-line or the 12ga mossberg. Im leaning towards the T/C. I can reach out an extra 50 yards with it. Man, I sure hope I get atag. Thanks again!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously your questions have been answered by the folks above but I just wanted to add that I personally don't think there's a better weapon to use than a T/C muzzleloader during our firearm season. We hunt with Encore Pro Hunter 209x.50 rifles and they are the ultimate whitetail slayers here in Illinois. As you've mentioned, you'll get longer ranges and better performance from the top quality loads and roands available today. Good luck on you IL hunt.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got my muzzleloader season permit in the mail yesterday.....