Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 new ML ?'s: Prohunter Endeavor vs Savage >

new ML ?'s: Prohunter Endeavor vs Savage

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new ML ?'s: Prohunter Endeavor vs Savage

Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default new ML ?'s: Prohunter Endeavor vs Savage

I know these are 2 different ML'ers but im looking to get somehting new to use over my Knight Revolution. A few friends have the pro hunter and its a very nice shooting ML'er. I saw the new endeavor yesterday and like the pro hunter I love the feel and balane of it! Its far lighter than my Knight. I also hear very good things about the smokeless Savage but I dont like the feel of this compared to the encore models. It is 300 less though LOL. My knight shoots fine, but im a collector and love trying new guns

if anyone has either of the above please share your opinions
Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new ML ?'s: Prohunter Endeavor vs Savage

Better check out a Triumph they are amazing to start with but after you put BH209 and a FPB in them they leave the rest even the other TC's behind. Lee
Old 07-15-2008, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crazyfarmer

I know these are 2 different ML'ers but im looking to get somehting new to use over my Knight Revolution. A few friends have the pro hunter and its a very nice shooting ML'er. I saw the new endeavor yesterday and like the pro hunter I love the feel and balane of it! Its far lighter than my Knight. I also hear very good things about the smokeless Savage but I dont like the feel of this compared to the encore models. It is 300 less though LOL. My knight shoots fine, but im a collector and love trying new guns

if anyone has either of the above please share your opinions
Crazy,
I have a Savage with the "tuppperware stock", I would buy the laminatednon thumbhold stock if I were doing it again.MySavage is very accurate,and willshoot accurately to two hundred yards withsmokeless. I love the non-cleaning and the non swabbing.The current issue of Gun Testing has compared the Savage to the Encore and the Savage won thetest. They consider the Encore overpriced andnot as accurate. My brother has an Encore with the Walnut stock, he has had it for several years, and he shoots that in Penna instead of his CF rifles. They are also an excellent rifle. I believe with the new Blackhorn 209 powder the difference between a Savage and other inline guns will shrink. I just shot Blackhorn in my Omega this past weekend, and I shot a 100 yard 1" group with Barnes300g MZ bullets, and the residue from that was very minimal. I believe you will be able to do that no problem with the Encore, in fact they are noted for shooting hot loads (my brother shoots 150g of pyrodex and a 300g Harvester Sabertooth--he hates hard loading).So bottom line if you like the feel of the Encore over the Savage, I say go with that, but if you have not tried a Laminated stock in a Savage, I think you should try that. Also try the Laminated thumbhole. It is a beautiful gun.
Chap Gleason

PS. This was for Saleabout 2 weeks ago for about $800, everything.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the gun test: http://www.gun-tests.com/

50-Caliber Inline Muzzleloading Shoot-out: Buy The Savage
Modern inline muzzleloading hunting has been one of the fastest-growing hunting and shooting sports of the last twenty years. It is easy to understand why; the current crop of high-performance 209 shotshell primer–fired inline muzzleloaders from reputable manufacturers offer big-game getting accuracy like never before, with improvements in ignition system, propellant, and projectiles completing the picture. It is easy to understand the appeal, for the better muzzleloaders may provide accuracy, shooting comfort, and low cost per shot as compared to many slug shotgun attempts. Here we compare four premium fifty-caliber hunting tools to see how they stack up in bang for the buck. The candidates are the Knight KP1 Magnum P1M-209-50/SN 50 Caliber, $640; the Savage 10ML-II Stainless Steel/Laminate Model 10MLBSS–II, $792; Thompson Encore Pro Hunter Stainless Steel/Black Composite No. 3976, $992; and the Thompson Triumph Carbon Steel 'Weather Shield'/Camo No. 8512 50 caliber, $586.

Here is what one fellow said the test scores were. Hard to believe about the Triumph.
Chap

Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the help... its still a tossup and I see good things from the new buckhorn 209. Im just going to go to the dealer and pick up both and spend some time getting the feel for each. Both have their ups and downs. I like the no cleaning of the Savage and it kinda feels like a rifle. The Pro hunter still has that ML'er feel but the best balance of any I have held. I think the Savage will outgroup the pro hunter, but 1/2th inch is no big deal to me. Yeah im picky, but I will settle for 1.5inch groups vs 1inch. Once again, thanks for the help and im going to try and pickup the laminate stock Savage and see how I like that one before buying.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:02 AM

http://huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2890169
Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Spike

I have both the Savage and an Encore,both SS.The fit and finish of the Encore is way ahead of the Savage.The Savage has a big advantage in speed with smokeless powders.The Savage is more accurate maybe by 1/2" shooting groups at 100 yards.With the Blackhorn 209 powder,clean up is now the same.The Savage kicks less,also wieghts 2lbs more,but as with all guns in hunting situations who would notice.I would go into a storethat sells both and see which one fits me better.The only reason I purchased the Savage was because I got tried of all the cleaning everyday but with the new 209 Powder I would not have purchased the Savage had I known how well it performs.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 153

I have both the Savage and an Encore,both SS.The fit and finish of the Encore is way ahead of the Savage.The Savage has a big advantage in speed with smokeless powders.The Savage is more accurate maybe by 1/2" shooting groups at 100 yards.With the Blackhorn 209 powder,clean up is now the same.The Savage kicks less,also wieghts 2lbs more,but as with all guns in hunting situations who would notice.I would go into a storethat sells both and see which one fits me better.The only reason I purchased the Savage was because I got tried of all the cleaning everyday but with the new 209 Powder I would not have purchased the Savage had I known how well it performs.
I think there is only 1 other factor in the Savage that I would add and that is cost to shoot. If you shoot 5744 in your savage, it cost about $19/lb I believe. 44g of 5744 is 1/2 the cost of 777 and 1/3 the cost of Blackhorn 209 per shot. See this for a direct comparison.

Chap Gleason

Old 07-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can tell that absolutely nothing is misleading in that comparison chart, especially when it is noted the Encore has a PLASTIC stock (as if it cannot also be purchased with a great laminated stock set). Sheesh!! That comparison is gag fodder.

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GTC5886 $614.69 theEncore as desribed (might need to add a $20 dealer transfer fee)

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=17505 $617.76 the Savage as described

that chart is irrelevant and reflects the biased and vested interests of a certain self-proclaimed expert.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess it depends on what you like, but I will say etrait out that either the people that did that grading were on somebodys payroll or all screwed up. I have several of those guns and it just dont fall together like that.
A bolt action is fine if thats what you want but they have a long action which makes for a short barrel and a heavy gun, as far as accuracy is concerned they all are capable of way beyond whats necessary for hunting accuracy with BH 209 the savage looses a lot of its advantage because it is noncoeosive and non cruding, the Savage can still claim some advantage on top end but top end is not where most of them shoot. They leave a massive safity margain on BH209 so I go by my strain gage[ which is all I will say about that] its also a legal black powder substitute and more states seem to be looking at tightening down on muzzleloader season, one even eliminated it in favor of black powder carteidges. Look at them all make dry runs on loading and sighting pick the one you like as long as you stick with TC, Knight and Savage you will get a quality gun. Lee