Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 1lb equals how many grains (approx) >

1lb equals how many grains (approx)

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

1lb equals how many grains (approx)

Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1lb equals how many grains (approx)

I'm looking into beginning to reload and i'm doing some calculating on how much it will cost (outside of all the equipment of course). I've looked into various brass, bullets, primers etc and can figure out how much they will cost.
Roughly how many grains of powder are in 1 lb of powder? Once i know that I can figure out the approximatecost of various situations for several cartridges.
Thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 11:38 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: 1lb equals how many grains (approx)

7000grains=1lb If I was you, I would count on at least 2-5% waste or margin.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:02 PM

Danny, you're thinking about this all wrong. No one who reloads ammunition ever saved a dime. What the reloader gets out of the deal is the ability to shoot a lot more for the same $$. So don't jump into reloading thinking you'll have more money at the end of the month. In fact, you'll have less as reloaders always want to upgrade and expand their equipment. As I say, the pay off is simply more bullets and more fun and satisfaction.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

Danny, you're thinking about this all wrong. No one who reloads ammunition ever saved a dime. What the reloader gets out of the deal is the ability to shoot a lot more for the same $$. So don't jump into reloading thinking you'll have more money at the end of the month. In fact, you'll have less as reloaders always want to upgrade and expand their equipment. As I say, the pay off is simply more bullets and more fun and satisfaction.
I agree with most of this. But I do believe you can save somemoney with certain cartridges. Especially with ther current higher prices of premium ammo. Tom.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:17 PM

^^^ditto. I haven't "saved" a dime. But I can shoot my 41 Mag for 1/3 the factory ammo cost. The way I think of it is that I can't shoot my 22-250 or my 44Mag much cheaper...and I certainly can't if you factor in all the extra shooting I do now. BUT for that same price I get to shoot premium components and tailor loads for the EXACT intended use.

Besides, its fun...
Old 01-13-2008, 04:57 PM

Head, sure you can save money if you only shoot the same amount of bullets as you did before reloading. What I'm telling you is you won't do that. Unless you are a very different sort of fellow than most gun nuts, you will shoot up your "shooting budget" one way or another. The guy who buys his shells doesn't get much ammo in return. The fellow who reloads gets to play a lot longer and have more fun doing it.

And there are other advantages that I won't elaborate on here.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks BC

Pavo,
I'm not necessarily looking to save money. I didn't want to get into it and come out way on the wrong side of cost though. I want to be able to work up loads for several of the cartridges i own to improve accuracy and for the fun of it. I
Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Thanks BC

Pavo,
I'm not necessarily looking to save money. I didn't want to get into it and come out way on the wrong side of cost though. I want to be able to work up loads for several of the cartridges i own to improve accuracy and for the fun of it. I
Well, you can sure accomplish this goal with reloading, Danny. It costs a bit to tool up for reloading but I always advise people to get into it with some good equipment as I've seen too many buy minimum/cheap stuff and after they see how much fun it can be, they toss this stuff and start over buying the equipment they should have got the first time.

I like to think of every gun as an individual with its own preferences. The reloader can fulfill that and mess with loads until he finds it.

Same goes for me and each gun. There are loads that just feel "right" to me. The stuff I load isn't available over the counter. One size doesn't fit all.

Have fun with your soon to be new hobby!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

Head, sure you can save money if you only shoot the same amount of bullets as you did before reloading. What I'm telling you is you won't do that. Unless you are a very different sort of fellow than most gun nuts, you will shoot up your "shooting budget" one way or another. The guy who buys his shells doesn't get much ammo in return. The fellow who reloads gets to play a lot longer and have more fun doing it.

And there are other advantages that I won't elaborate on here.

That's for sure. That's for sure. That's for dang sure. Tom.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM

Wish i had a room that looked like that!!!!

Quick Reply: 1lb equals how many grains (approx)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.