Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best arrow for elk >

Best arrow for elk

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best arrow for elk

Old 01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Spike

Default Best arrow for elk

I amplanning on an elk/archery hunt and need expert advice on what accessories to get.

It appears to me there are many great arrows out there that could do the job and everyone I speak with has a different opinion. I am not an arrow expert and have never hunted elk with a bow before and since I probably will only be able to do this once or twice I want to be sure Idon't cut corners on the arrows and broadheads. I am shooting a 70#, 28.5" Switchback XT.

The last person told me to go with the Beman MFX 340 and use a 100 gr. G5. The person before that mentioned the Easton ACC. Others swear by the carbon express. Is a narrower carbon better?

Maye I'm over analyzing this but I'm going to have a lot of money in this hunting trip and don't want skimp on the little things. Irregardless of the arrow I choose I plan on doing a lot of practice shooting.

Any other suggestions on equipment, prepardness, etc. is appreciated. If you respond Iwould also appreciate if you let me know if you ever went on an archery elk hunt, the equipment you used and how it performed.

I greatly appreciate your help!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 PM

Default RE: Best arrow for elk

Lots of arrows will work. But if I had pick one, it would be the Easton Axis FMJ.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would usewhatever you use on whitetails as far the arrow goes. The broadhead, I would go with a good fixed blade like Muzzy or Montecs. Just make sure you are confident you can put it where it needs to be.

I killed a bull in 2005 in Mew Mexico.
Mathews Switchback-70#
Easton axis arrows with Snyper Broadhead

Perfect shot thru both lungs and the arrow stuck in the offside shoulder. He went 150 yards and piled up.

Just make you get the best shape of your life. Those mountains are steep and the air is thin. Don't skimp on your conditioning.

Here is my bull.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I would usewhatever you use on whitetails as far the arrow goes. The broadhead, I would go with a good fixed blade like Muzzy or Montecs. Just make sure you are confident you can put it where it needs to be.

Just make you get the best shape of your life. Those mountains are steep and the air is thin. Don't skimp on your conditioning.
Good info jmbuckhunter! I've never gotten lucky enough to get an elk yet but the guys I've been with that have gotten elk have used Cut On Contact heads. One guy used a Magnus 3 blade snuffer (bloodtrail was great and he had a pass through, elk went down in 60 yards). Another head a guy used was the Satelite 2's, (bloodtrail was good, not a complete pass through, elk went down in 100 yards). I'm not sure if that head is even around anymore, great head though! I'm sure there's many others but these are the particular BH's my friends have used and have had good success with. Nice bull jmbuckhunter! Some day for me I hope!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Spike

I was using the Easton ACC but my supply was running low so I thought I better pick some more up. I was going to buy more ACC than after listening to other people I don't know. I also have been using the 100 gr. G5. I also use a whisker bisket.

The ACC are nice but expensive but I thought I could get 3 dozen for the price of 2 dozen of those. My son shoots the same weight/draw and thought he'd be able to use the arrows also.

I've been elk gun hunting about 6 times and know I have to be in excellent shape. I will be 57 shortly and will do the hunt within the next 2 years. (Have to optain preference points for Wyoming). I plan on going with a guide and horses. I've back packed elk before and no more of that.

I was going to go with the 2" blazers, 5" wraps and thought even about a lighted nock. I also heard great things about the axis arrow.

That is a BEAUTIFUL bull. That would be my dream. Any other advice?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 PM

Any arrow will do so long as it's nice and heavy.

Axis, FMJ's, Acc's are all nice. Beman ICS Hunters worked for me in the past.I shot the FMJ's this last year, their still aluminum so theywill bend.I switched to the regular Axis, have not hunted with them yet.

I like the G5 Montecs, best BH I have ever shot, easy to sharpen. My buddy uses the strikers, he doesn't like to sharpen BH's.

I use the biscuit. I like how easy it is tonock an arrow and stalk.It's simple and fool proof. My TrophyTaker is a bit more accurate, butI'm not shooting tiny paper X'swhen I hunt.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Banned

the one that flies best out of your bow

don't worry about KE, speed, weight etc etc, Connie Renfro shoots elk, sheep, goats etc with a low 50's poundage recurve probably arrows going no more than 160 fps and KE of I'm guessing upper 30's ?

just hit the elk in the lungs, using a compound doing that with an old Pucketts Bloodtrailer will get your tag filled !
Old 01-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Skippy Archer

Any arrow will do so long as it's nice and heavy.

Axis, FMJ's, Acc's are all nice. Beman ICS Hunters worked for me in the past.I shot the FMJ's this last year, their still aluminum so theywill bend.I switched to the regular Axis, have not hunted with them yet.

I like the G5 Montecs, best BH I have ever shot, easy to sharpen. My buddy uses the strikers, he doesn't like to sharpen BH's.

I use the biscuit. I like how easy it is tonock an arrow and stalk.It's simple and fool proof. My TrophyTaker is a bit more accurate, butI'm not shooting tiny paper X'swhen I hunt.
Excellent post Skippy!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I doubt it makes a huge difference. I am sure Elk have been killed with arrows of all types and weights. I would however think the FMJ's tipped with a 125 grain Slick Trick Standard'swould be ideal. Any arrow weighing around 400 grains or above will work with your setup. I killed my 300+ 6 X 6 with a 390 grain arrow. Everyone told me it was too light but I got a complete pass through, and the Bull only went 60 yards
Have Fun!! Elk hunting is a blast!

Dan
Old 01-07-2008, 07:58 AM

I read and read info about heavier arrows, heavier broadheads, and on and onand thenI would go out and shoot my bow setup I use for whitetails and be very accurate at40 yards and then it all finally clicked, maybe I should just use what works!

I used my Whitetail setup because I was very accurate with it, I felt comfortable with it, and most imprtantly I was confident in it. Goldtip XT5575 arrows tipped with a 100 grain Stinger. I shot my cow at 40 yards. If you are shooting good right now and are confident, then stick with what you have. It all comes down to you being accurate and being able to put the arrow where you need it to be. A heavier arrow or completely new setup wont improve your odds if you make a poor shot, and if you make a good shot, then you have your elk with your current setup. Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: Best arrow for elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.