Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 cost of muzzle loader shooting >

cost of muzzle loader shooting

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

cost of muzzle loader shooting

Old 12-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default cost of muzzle loader shooting

OK i am thinking about getting a muzzle loader or next season never shot one but have always wonted to

what can i expect to pay per shot with the muzzle loader

what i mean is how much will it cost for the powder bullet wad primer anything you need to let a shot off
does it cost more then the 2 dollars or more for a sabot

i know cost changes from what brand you use Werther it is powder or pellets so just look at it as what you use i do not wont nor plan to use cheap stuff
Old 12-17-2007, 06:18 PM

Default RE: cost of muzzle loader shooting

Depends, you wanna go traditional or modern inline?
I prefer traditional muzzleloaders myself so heres what you can expect in costs to get you started.
Pyrodex P 1lb can of powder - $15
Hornady roundballs, 100Qty. -$12
CCI #11 Magnum percussion caps -$4.79
Pillow ticking precut patches 100Qty -$4.00

It all depends on what you want.

Im my traditional rifle i shoot a 225 grain powerbelt"$16 for a package of 15" with 80 grains pyrodex P and am dead on @ 100 yards and only 4" low at 150 yards.

Just all depends on what you can hunt with in your state.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:34 PM

I never really broke it down by cost per shot but I would think its cheaper than firing a centerfire.
Most of the cost per shot will be determined by the bullet you decide to use.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Spike

Cost per shot all depends on what type of muzzleloader you plan on shooting. Before you decide on this finally check the game regs in your state and in states you plan to use it in.
If cost per shot is a big concern I would say that a rifle that shoots the patched round ball (PRB) would probably be the cheapest way to go. In order to get a PRB to shoot very accurately you need to get a rifle with a minimum of 1:48 rate of twist in the rifling to shoot great you need to get one with a much slower rate of twist. The 1:48 twist will most likely shoot PRBs fairly well as well as conicals (maxi balls, great plains bullets etc) but will not do very well with the sabotted bullets
To get a rifle to shoot the sabots the rate of twist should be 1:28 or there abouts.
In todays market you have a choice of a flintlock, side lock percussion or an inline. There are a bunch of models of each out there.
If cost is a real factor I would suggest using the loose powder vs the pellets as the pellets are very expensive.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

if i go muzzle loader cost wont be a issue even buying the muzzle loader is not
i wont a gun that is accurate out far reliable in the field
and i do not wont to worry about rain and so on not that i plan to get the gun wet butyou never know
as for modern or flintlock and so on same as above
i do not wont to worry about it not shooting i wont a gun that is accurate and easy to use and clean
my budget is limited but only to how much i can spend on the gun
i plan to buy the gun between may and July
and if need be i can collect extra bullets and powder between then and hunting season
as for powder or pellets i know the pellets are easy
are they more reliable and how much more do they cost
also i am to a traditionalist i care more for reliability and accuracy

i would properly go with a inline since my understanding is there more reliable and more accurate and easyer to load and clean
as far as i know there are no resections on what muzzle loader you can use in Indiana
Old 12-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

here is indiana's laws for firearms what do you guys think i should use

Legal Firearms

Shotguns, handguns, rifles with pistol cartridges, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading handguns are legal during the firearms season. Only muzzleloading firearms are legal during the muzzleloader season. Hunters may carry more than one type of legal firearm when hunting during the firearms season only. Shotguns must be 10-, 12-, 16- or 20-gauge or .410 bore loaded with slugs or saboted bullets. Rifled slug barrels are permitted. Combination rifle-shotguns are not allowed.
Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger loaded with a single bullet of at least .357 caliber. Saboted bullets are allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber or larger. A muzzleloading firearm must be loaded from the muzzle. Multiple-barrel muzzleloading long guns are allowed.
Rifles with pistol cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms season. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the 357 Magnum, 38-40 Winchester, 41 Magnum, 41 Special, 44 Magnum, 44 Special, 44-40 Winchester, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger, 50 Action Express, and 500 S&W.

Legal Handguns for
Old 12-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

For an inline you could say for starters, since gander covered the "fun gun" info:

1# Loose T7 - $25
Powder measure - $5
Bag full of 35mm canisters from walmart for premeasured charges- free
1 - Box of cheaper saboted bullets for fun shooting - $7
1 Box Hornady SST style or Powerbelt hunting bullets - $13
Box 209 Primers - $5

Cleaning Supplies - $15

All total - $70 To get started and to have quite a few range days!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

FYI - I have used a 45 and a 50 for deer in Indiana both work great, the bullets for the 45 are harder to find though. CVA puts out good guns for someone starting in my opinion, and if you want to spend a little more you can get into a Knight or a good TC that will be a great gun too!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

what can i expect to pay for a good ml say a cva and a knight or tc if i have my choice i wont a tc omega or encore but might only have the cash for a cva also carpmaster wont i need a bullet starter and muzzlelube i figured i could ge a cva starter kit and some extra supplys for around 75 bucks so your close to what i figured

and by 35mm canisters i figure you mean film cans do you just ask them at the film dept
Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

I've got a 45 cal cva, that I paid $99 for from natchezss.com or basspro. It costs about $2 per shot with 225 gr powerbelts. I shot a doe at 179 yds this year and I have killed several other deer around 100 yds.

Looking at your Indiana law, what about a NEF handi-rifle in a 500 s&w.They are about $200.

Quick Reply: cost of muzzle loader shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.