Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New WV State Record??? >

New WV State Record???

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New WV State Record???

Old 12-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New WV State Record???

I heard a rumor last night at church that a guy has supposedly kill a deer in Logan County that's going to score over 200". Does anybody have any info on this?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:05 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: New WV State Record???

ORIGINAL: gutshot

I heard a rumor last night at church that a guy has supposedly kill a deer in Logan County that's going to score over 200". Does anybody have any info on this?
I think a few deer were killed in Logan over 190" this year. I saw one picture at Uncle Bill's gunship in Williamson, WV over thanksgiving.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is WV doing any different kind of deer program as of late? Antler restrictions? Clear Cutting? Food Plots? I've heard a lot about them in the last couple of years.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:35 PM

no scott cant say WV is but there are a few hunting clubs that put there on rules in effect to its members
Old 12-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scott most of the big deer you hear about from WV come from within 4 counties which are bow only. Very mountainous large stripmine areas and without a 4 wheeler nearly impossible to hunt.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:53 AM

Well royak ya have one thing right the 4 counties but its obvious you live in peterstown and not in these counties like i do people hunt these counties all year long by driving within 400 to 1000 yds of there stand in a vehicle here in mcdowell county we have people hunting our county from all over th state espically your area royak guess its a trade offsince i know alot of people down here that gun hunt ya way. scott come on down try ya luck i've seen 3 deer this year killed within 10 miles of my house 160 or better and 2 deer 120 within 1000 yds of me
Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

truehitter you are right I do know people who can drive close to where they hunt in fact my wife is from Mcdowell county around Iaeger and her family still lives there I do go there at times but do not do a lot of hunting there. I have gotten to old and have had a couple of heartattacks so I mainly hunt close to home here. And yes there are several people from there that come up here to hunt. But you did say one key thing some people do hunt down there year round and a lot of the deer taken there not all but some should be checked out for gunpowder traces before the arrow was stuck in and yes I know it happens.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

Is WV doing any different kind of deer program as of late? Antler restrictions? Clear Cutting? Food Plots? I've heard a lot about them in the last couple of years.
Beleive me, years ago, you never saw any big bucks in Mingo, logan, McDowell, or Wyoming County. I grew up in this region and all my family is near Mingo. But as soon as they eliminated the guns, and let them grow, and let nature manage the herd, big, big deer started showing up. Not too many people have food plots, and alot of strip mine land was reclaimed, but I don't believe that has much to do with it. I spend some time on top of these reclaimed strip mines shooting and 4-wheeling, and never see monsters on this land. Only in the woods.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:34 PM

royak right there sure is a lot of gunpowder in the air down here hope ya've had a great sason this year and ya welcome to hunt with me anytime
Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks truehitter I appreciate that I extend the same but I will tell you it is very hard to find permission here in Monroe. I have a small patch behind my house I hunt as it is close and it has been a really good year for me as I took 6 deer 3 bow 3 gun but the only reason for that is a lack of food in the woods for them and I have a small food plot .

Quick Reply: New WV State Record???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.