Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 H&R Ultra Deluxe Slug Gun >

H&R Ultra Deluxe Slug Gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Ultra Deluxe Slug Gun

Old 10-15-2007, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default H&R Ultra Deluxe Slug Gun

Well yesterday I took my H&R Ultra Deluxe 20ga. out to the range I used Hornady SSTs, there is just no need for me to use a 12ga. anymore, this gun/slug combo is excellent. I was clover leafing, just unreal. If your in the market for a slug gun look into the H&R
Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: H&R Ultra Deluxe Slug Gun

Glad to hear you are satisfied. It'll please you more to discover they are coming out with better,more specialized 20 gauge slugs all the time,even 3.5" slugs.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Site Bouncer

I can't say enough how great these slug guns are. I have the 12ga USHD and it's an extremely accurate slug gun.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

Well yesterday I took my H&R Ultra Deluxe 20ga. out to the range I used Hornady SSTs, there is just no need for me to use a 12ga. anymore, this gun/slug combo is excellent. I was clover leafing, just unreal. If your in the market for a slug gun look into the H&R
My cousin's son own's one in the 12 gauge, but it's an un-godly heavy thing!! I was just at Gander Mountain the other day looking at the 20 gauge model and it's much lighter than the 12 gauge version. I just picked up a new rifle in .308 for deer in the southerntier here in NY, but want to get that 20 gauge model for deer hunting in other counties that don't allow rifle use.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:24 AM

I read somewhere that with same weight bullets the 20 ga slugs will slightly outperform the 45-70 while still recoiling like the 20 ga. I think it was an article where 10 gun writers were writing about their favorite deer gun. If I remember correct Dick Metcalfe said he liked the rem 1100 in 20 ga with a rifled barrel and gunsmith installed cantilever scope mount.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:50 PM

I used mine for many years until I bought my 11-87 and I still think the HR outshoots it and its def more recoil friendly. I use the HR as a backup now (I like having real fast follow up shots)and its one that will alway be around.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Spike

Default Female Feedback (for a change)

Hi Guys:

I thought it might be nice to provide a bit of feedback from a female just to make a point.

My husband and I hunt together and have for some years now. He bought me a tricked-out 12 ga. H&R Ultraslug last year for my birthday. He had it mounted with a Nikon Slughunter in 3X9 with the BDC Reticle.

Now the first time I shot it using the 3" Winchester Partitioned Gold sabot slugs, I thought "There is just no way I can live with this recoil". My husband went out and bought me a Limbsaver recoil pad for the gun and I went to the range to sight it in. What a difference! I fired a total of 15 rounds before I could get it sighted in to my satisfaction (I wouldn't let my husband help) and I must say that this gun has become my favorite. It shoots cloverleafs at 50 yds and holds to under 2 inches at 100 yds. - I haven't been able to test it beyond that because our range only goes to 100 yds. I shot a 172 lb. 9 point buck last year at 66 of my husbands paces (he is 6' 3" tall with long legs). The slug hit exactly where I put the crosshairs. The Winchester partition golds folded that buck up like a limp dishrag where he stood.

Now I have read about how you big strong guys feel the recoil of this gun is too much. All I can say is that I am 5' 8" tall and weigh-in at exactly 151 lbs. If I can handle shooting 3" 12 ga. Winchester Partition Golds with it with a limbsaver recoil pad, so can you! (Sorry guys - I just had to add that last zinger!)

Last edited by mslady64; 12-09-2010 at 05:13 AM.