Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Disc rifle

Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Spike

Default Knight Disc rifle

Cayugad, I read where you said you had a Knight Disc rifle. I was curious what you shoot through it? I use 120 gr. Pyrodex RS (ffg)and T/C Mag sabots 240 gr. I never swab between shots but always thought I should. I never had a very tight group either. When I take my girlfriend out to shoot her Lyman I'm going to see whatmine will do afterswabbing between shots. What should I expect? Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Knight Disc rifle

Knight will tell you that if you load 100 grains of powder and a Knight Red Hot bullet of 250-300 grains of weight and it does not shoot accurate, then something is wrong with the rifle.

My Disc will shoot a number of things well. Depending on what I shoot the powder charge changes. I normally shoot Pyrodex RS out of the Knight Disc with a Winchester W209 primer. Try 90 grains of loose powder and a 250 grain Shockwave. They shoot well for me. Barnes Expanders in 250 grain also shoot good, but I kick them up to 110 grains of powder. When I shoot the 240 grain I drop down to 80 grains of powder.

All you can do is try some different loads. If you have the Mag 240 XTPs lower the powder charge once and see if they do not start behaving better.

Also on my Knight, if I do not swab between shots, then there is very poor accuracy.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rod...I have owned a Disc for about 6-7 years...My favorite load for 4-5 was 100 grains Goex FFF or Pyrodex R-S and the 300 gr Barnes original copper (I think its a MZ)...

A few years ago, I tried several other bullets, looking for a flatter load...I ended up with 90 grains Pyrodex or Goex and a 250 Shockwave...Sighted in
2 1/2 high at 100, I'm 2 1/2 low at 150....

I always clean between shots, 3 dampend with alcohol (both sides), a dry patch...Then one oiled and one dry patch...The barrel in a muzzleloader has to be conditioned the same with each shot to shoot accurately...
Old 09-26-2007, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I always clean between shots, 3 dampend with alcohol (both sides), a dry patch...Then one oiled and one dry patch...The barrel in a muzzleloader has to be conditioned the same with each shot to shoot accurately...
I have a Knight Disc and use 1 patch of bore butter in the field followed by a dry patch, when shooting at the range I use 1 patch of alcohol/windex 50/50 both sides and then a dry patch. Accuracy is good (< 3" at 100) with 300g Nosler Partions, Hornady XTP Mag 300gand Gold Dot 300g. I have shot some 1.5" groups with this rifle and American Pioneer Powder and Nosler Partition:
http://www.the-gleasons.com/noslerpartition300g.htm

TC SW work well also in my Disc: http://www.the-gleasons.com/tcshockwave300g.htm

I like the 300g for more downrange energy, and they shoot thru a deer leaving a good blood trail, whereas the 240g and 250g tend to be under the hide on the off side, this lessens blood trail.
Chap Gleason
Old 09-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Spike

I've always pulled my bullet out from under the other hide on the off side. I may bump up to a 300 gr. Most of my shots are around 100 yds. but could be a little farther depending on which place I'm hunting. I almost lost a big nine point year before last because the blood trail got weak after the bullet not going all the way through. Luckily I found him.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rod...I'm using that big 300 Barnes because the 250 wouldn't group...In a Barnes bullet the 250 will penetrate and exit (they shoot good in my brothers Remington)...If the 250s would have grouped, I would have used them...

The 250 SST/Shockwave is also going to give you good penetration...But, it is a sharp bullet...vs the MZ Barnes which has a huge hollow point, the Barnes will open faster and give a larger exit wound and blood trail than the SSTs (in my opinion based on tracking about 20 with the SSTS and 10-12 with the Barnes)...With the SST, I put the bullet through the shoulder blade, no tracking required....

If your shots are within say 125 yards, you can't beat the Barnes....
I switched to the SST design, because we have large soybean fields and I wanted a bullet that would reach out to 150 yard...I tested both bullets, sighted in 2 1/2 high at 100 yards and the SST at 150 was 2 1/2 inches low and the Barnes was 7-8 inches low, the SSTs were also more accurate in my gun with groups running about 2-3 inches at 150 yards...

All that being said, try both the 250 and 300 Barnes, that's the only way to see what your rifle likes...
Old 09-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Rod...I'm using that big 300 Barnes because the 250 wouldn't group...In a Barnes bullet the 250 will penetrate and exit (they shoot good in my brothers Remington)...If the 250s would have grouped, I would have used them...

The 250 SST/Shockwave is also going to give you good penetration...But, it is a sharp bullet...vs the MZ Barnes which has a huge hollow point, the Barnes will open faster and give a larger exit wound and blood trail than the SSTs (in my opinion based on tracking about 20 with the SSTS and 10-12 with the Barnes)...With the SST, I put the bullet through the shoulder blade, no tracking required....

If your shots are within say 125 yards, you can't beat the Barnes....
I switched to the SST design, because we have large soybean fields and I wanted a bullet that would

reach out to 150 yard...I tested both bullets, sighted in 2 1/2 high at 100 yards and the SST at 150 was 2 1/2 inches low and the Barnes was 7-8 inches low, the SSTs were also more accurate in my gun with groups running about 2-3 inches at 150 yards...

All that being said, try both the 250 and 300 Barnes, that's the only way to see what your rifle likes...
I agree with NCHawkeye. If I could have used a Barnes TMZ, which si the MZ with a plastic tip on it, that was my first choice for a bullet. I did NOT get good accuracy in my Savage with it however. The SW are an awsome bullet for both accuracy and penetration, the shoulder blade shot is a good one with this bullet, since it makes them expand into the chest cavity and put them DOS--dead on the spot. Chap Gleason
Old 09-27-2007, 03:22 AM

I have a Knight disc master hunter. I shoot 100 grains loose 777 and a 300 grain sst bullet. Last weekend I shot a 3 shot group that measured .850". Keep trying and if you don't have any luck call modern muzzleloading or e-mail them at thier website. They will give you the information to send it in. They will shoot it and if they cannot get it to shoot they will replace your barrel. Costumer service is one of the benifits to owning a knight.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jlbeebe

I have a Knight disc master hunter. I shoot 100 grains loose 777 and a 300 grain sst bullet. Last weekend I shot a 3 shot group that measured .850". Keep trying and if you don't have any luck call modern muzzleloading or e-mail them at thier website. They will give you the information to send it in. They will shoot it and if they cannot get it to shoot they will replace your barrel. Costumer service is one of the benifits to owning a knight.
.850, now your talking accuracy. That is great shooting and the 300g SST is a great bullet. What primer and sabot are you using, the yellow easy glide or the black sabot? The black shot best for me.
Chap Gleason