Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Trigger pull adjustment for Ruger M77???? >

Trigger pull adjustment for Ruger M77????

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Trigger pull adjustment for Ruger M77????

Old 08-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Trigger pull adjustment for Ruger M77????

I have a Ruger M77 in .270 caliber and I've always had issues getting the groups that I think I should get (3 shot group around 1.5" at 100 yards at best). I've tried several different types of ammo and I've found what I think shoots best out of my gun but I still don't have the grouping that I want. The only thing I can think of doing is getting the trigger pull adjusted from the factory setting (I think it's 7.5 lbs) to around 3.5 lbs.

Ruger owners, do you think this will help or have I reached the limit of accuracy of this model rifle?
Old 08-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trigger pull adjustment for Ruger M77????

If you hit the easy button it will tell you to buy an after market trigger.
If you want you can follow this link and do the factory trigger yourself
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/ruger77trigger.html

OH yea, I am assuming you have a MK2
Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

For all practical purposes 1 1/2 at 100 is fine for big game hunting, that being said, the trigger on my 1980 model Ruger is adjusted to 2 1/2 pounds, it is the factory trigger and as already mentioned if your gun has the 3 position safety vs the tang safety, the easiest way is to replace with an after market trigger...
Old 08-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry to say,but,imho,you MAY have reached the apex in grouping with that gun. I had a m77 mark II in 7mm wsm and that piece of crap couldn't make 2'' groups at 100. Sold it. Got a tikka and watch me go now, baby. With that ruger, I didn't do anything to the trigger but did put every factory load known to man thru it. Will never own another. I'm not saying all rugers are bad, but they certainly don't have a reputation for all of them being good either.

Three position tang safety is a piece of crap too, imho
Old 08-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you like the Tikka.
I will take a Ruger over 2 Tikka's any day!
Old 08-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You realyl have 2 options. Take the Ruger to the smith and he'll charge you $35 or so to adjust the factory trigger to what you want it to break at, or spend $80 and get a Timmney trigger. I own both Ruger and Tikka, as well as Remington, Winchester, Browning, Etc, ETc. The Ruger is probably one of the best actions on the market (mauser style) and they will shoot very well, but they do take some tweakin. Whether it be a trigger job or bedding, but they will shoot with everything out there. Half the fun to me is tweaking with guns so this isn't a problem for me.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 AM

I can't say that I know anything about that rifle. I do on the other hand know a great gunsmith in TN. Mr Binkley is an older guy, and if I have my facts right, learned to build custom rifles for the military back in the day. He is the best I know, and to say his prices are reasonable would be an understatment. I honestly think he does what he does now, just for love of the shootig sports. Shoot me and email, and I'll see what i can do to get his number for you. (sorry, didn't bring my complete address book to Iraq)
Old 08-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I owned a .270 in Ruger 77 years ago. It was a long tang. It was just flat one of the best out-of- the box completely stock shooting guns I ever owned, even with factory ammo. I have also owned Rugers that needed some bedding work to make them acceptable. They are not the easiest rifles to bed, so if you wish to pursue that route, and have never done a 77 before, you may want to turn it over to someone who has experience with them, or just plain trade it on something else. Handloading not giving you better groups or haven't you gone that way? Rugers are fine rifles, in my opinion, but may need a little tinkerin' as Rammer said, and/or some well-worked up handloads.
By the way, I gave that 77 .270 to a friend of mine upon the birth of his first son, to become the lad's deer gun as he grew older. They still have it.