Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tried new powder/bullet combination >

Tried new powder/bullet combination

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tried new powder/bullet combination

Old 07-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tried new powder/bullet combination

And the results were not what I hoped for! [:@]
Picked up some T/C 250 grain shockwaves and some Jim Shockey's Gold powder to try in the Lyman Mustang. At 50 yards the combination gave about a 2" group using 100 grains powder. Moved to 100 yards and most of the shots were on paper (8.5 x 11" target) All over and no guess as to where the next one was going. I finally noticed one went through the target sideways! Backed down to 80 grains and still no accuracy. Moved back to 50 yards and switched to Pyrodex. About a 2" group. Dug through my bag and found one Barnes Expander MZ 250 grainbullet. Fired it with 100 grais Pyrodex (the load I'm sighted in with) and it was dead center & 1" high - right where it should be at 50 yards!
My conclusion - the Mustang don't like T/C shockwaves! Now I've got to try the new powder with Barnes Expanders.
Bought the Jim Shockey's gold because it was the best choice in the local store. The Goex Pinnacle was old and hard as a brick inside the bottle, they didn't have T-7 loose in stock, and I figured the Shockey's Gold was the premium AP powder. It was very clean & no crud ring, so if it will launch the Barnes bullets accurately I may switch to it. Seems like BP & Pyrodex are disappearing from the dealer's shelves here locally.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tried new powder/bullet combination

While most rifles like Shockwaves, not all rifles do. I have yet to shoot the Jim Shockey Gold powder. I shoot Pinnacle, and American Pioneer 2f & 3f with good results. Your results are very interesting to say the least.. Good range report.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

How do those shockwaves go down the barrel? Do they go down real easy, snug or does it take a bit to get them down? How does it compare to the Barnes expander?Your rifle is the first I've heard of that didn't shot the SW's at least half way decent. I've got a pack of the 250 bonded SW'sI need totest out of the KRB next time I'm at the range. I need to look at my schedule and make that trip soon.So little time andso much to do.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:50 PM

I dont think you will miss the shockwaves. I was watching a hunting show the other night. Jim shockey actually and they were using encores with the 250 grain shockwaves and every mule deer they shot, those deer just took off and made the hunters track them. And i mean, every single deer they shot just took off and ran far before falling. I wouldnt even bother with a sabot, go back to the conical that gave you the best accuracy. I forget what you originally were shooting, but if it shot well, use that. or if you havent tried conicals, give them a try.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:59 PM

I have grouped shock waves out of my Optima. In fact, its the only 250g bullet my Optima will group. I used the sabot that comes with them. My pet load remains 300g hornady xtp and 90g of 777 with harvester crushed sabot. For some reason, my Optima likes to "spray" the 250g bullet.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

That Barnes is a good bullet...The only thing you really gain with the Shockwaves is better aerodynamics for longer shots...Most deer are killed within 100 yards anyway, just set up so that's the longest shot you will have...

In all honesty, one range session with only one powder doesn't always get you dialed in with a particular combo...My Knight didn't like the sabots packaged with the Hornadys SST...But it loves the T/C sabot that came with them 2-3 years ago, so I bought several boxes of the T/Cs...The sabots can make a huge difference.

Frontier is right about the Shockwaves, a good hollow point is designed to open up quickly...While the SSTs will mushroom it's my opinion that the
polymer tip bullets will not expand as rapidly at most muzzle loader velocities...I "help" the SSTs expand by putting them through the shoulder blade, that way I don't need a blood trail...

Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

I forget what you originally were shooting, but if it shot well, use that. or if you havent tried conicals, give them a try.
I can agree with that. If the 250 gr. expander is shooting well, stick with it. IMO, it's a better bulletthan the shockwave. If you're wanting something with a little better B.C., try the Barnes spitfires or the TMZ.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

My .50Encore shoots really well with JSG and Hornady SST sabots(same bullet as Shockwave). Bought that gun last September and have killed three deer and fourhogs with it. All were bang flops. All of the bullets expanded, including the one taken from a hog i shot at175 yards. My load is 90 grains of JSG, the 250 grain SST bulletand a Winchester 777 primer.

At 100 yards my gun easily makes two inch groups with the above load in my hands.One day at the range, a Marine SSG took myEncore and shot severalconsecutive groupsone inch and under with it.

Hornady SST sabots load very hard in my Encore. But that is a very small price for me to pay for their accuracy and consistency. JSG and SST sabots work well for me.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

My .50Encore shoots really well with JSG and Hornady SST sabots(same bullet as Shockwave).
I've never shot either SSTs/Shockwaves or JSG. Then, this morning I'm browsing through the ML stuff at the local Acadamy Sports store and they had the 20 bullet packsof Hornady45-300 grainSSTs with sabotson sale for $2.88 a box. Bought all 6 boxes they had. Even if they don't shoot well for me, at that price they'll make good plinkers. They also had JSGFFG$16 a canister. Bought a pound of that to try also.

I now have so many bullet and powder combinations to play with that I'll be an old, old man before I've tried them all.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The shockwaves loaded very easy. The Barnes load easier in the Mustang than any rifle I've ever shot them in, but they still take a firm shove on the ramdod to seat them. I'm wondering if the Mustang might have a slightly oversize bore? As long as the Barnes group well they will be my hunting load anyway. I've shot a few deer with them, and seen several others shoot deer with them and as long as the hit was in the "boiler room" the deer dropped on the spot! That's the kind of tracking job Ilike - you have to move the dead deer to find it's last tracks!
As my hunting buddy says:
I spent $39,000 for a hunting truck, $600 for a Knight rifle, $350 for a scope, an unknown amount for hunting clothes & accessories, so why would I complain about bullets costing $1 each if they work?

Quick Reply: Tried new powder/bullet combination

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.