Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 distance in treestand >

distance in treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

distance in treestand

Old 04-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Default distance in treestand

Hi all,

I am new to hunting with a recurve but have practiced a fair bit, I am very comfortable with shooting up to 25 yards, I am going to be hunting black bear hear in the next couple of weeks once they start hitting my bait, I am wondering from a platform hight of about 20feet how far my bait barrel is? the tree at the bottom is 20 yards. any help would be apreatiated, THNAK YOU
Old 04-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: distance in treestand

Brad, from my (limited) experiance its the horizontal dist that really matters on arrow drop, not the hypotenuse (sp?) of the triangle.

My best advice is to place your target beside your barrel, climb into your stand and take a few shots, you will be glad you did, especially in a few weeks when your hunting and have the extra confidence.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

just aim slightly high
Old 04-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Bull Hockey, you don't want to be aiming slightly high, you'll shoot high. In fact, the tendency is for people to shoot high because they don't bend at the waist and screw up their form. If anything you'd aim low before you aimed high. But the best is to practice practice practice at ALL distances from above and see for yourself. The horizontal distance will take care of the bear. When you range from in a tree with a range finder you should range straight out too to a tree, not to the base.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with david, if you aim high you will shoot to high.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely don't aim high. Shoot the horizontal distance, whenever I get into a tree I use my rangefinder but I don't shoot to the ground. According to pythagoren's theorem, at 20 feet up, the distance from your stand to the bait would be 21 yards if it's 20 yards from the base... so the differenece is fairly irrelevant.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:01 PM

This is what I do when practicing from an elevated postition.....I draw the bow as if what I were shooting at were level with me, and get anchored. I then bend at the waist to bring the pin on target, and let it fly. If you compensate for the elevation by dropping your bow arm down to the target, you will indeed shoot high, every time.....and if you aim high to begin with....Yer gonna miss, and quite cleanly at that.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: curth83

just aim slightly high
I had to think about that one for a moment, April fools is over.

Bobby
Old 04-09-2007, 02:57 AM

always aim lower from an elevated platform. use the math formula a squared equals b squared equals c squared the efect of gravity doesn't effect arrows as much when shooting up or down.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TROPHYHUNTER25

always aim lower from an elevated platform. use the math formula a squared equals b squared equals c squared the efect of gravity doesn't effect arrows as much when shooting up or down.
Only if you want to hit lower.

Good answers abovedavidmil and mobowhntr.

Quick Reply: distance in treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.