Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Hog hunting with a shotgun... >

Hog hunting with a shotgun...

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog hunting with a shotgun...

Old 02-01-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Hog hunting with a shotgun...

Curious what kind of shotgun shells you all would suggest in hunting hogs? I have only hunted with a rifle but plan on using a shotgun and just curious. Thanks for any info. I also know that in Oklahoma it's illegal to use buckshot and that's what I had planned on using..
Old 02-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hog hunting with a shotgun...

Does OK approve of Rifle Slugs or Sabot Slugs?

If I'm going to hunt Hogs with rifle slugs and smooth bore,I choose Brenneke 1-3/8oz Black Magic Magnum 2-3/4"

If I am using the a rifled barrel, I use Winchester Supreme 385gr Sabot 3"

That's when I go Spot & Stalk with friends and no dogs! 95% of the time is with dogs and no long guns!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:01 PM

all slugs are ok in oklahoma. but NO buckshot
Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

We have killed hogs with our slug guns. Theyhave rifled barrels and we have found that the Lightfield saboted slugs have rifle-like accuracy and sufficient terminal energy to take hogs out.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:12 PM

I would use slug but I don't have a slug barrel. Only option is standard shotgun shells. Just not sure what kind. I guess I should say am I insane in thinking I can kill a hog with a standard 3" shotgun shell?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: okchunter

I would use slug but I don't have a slug barrel. Only option is standard shotgun shells. Just not sure what kind.
Tells us what you have?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 PM

It will either be a Mossberg 500 12 gauge 28" barrel or an 835 12 gauge 28" barrel. Unfortunately neither has a slug barrel.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

When u say 'standard shotgun shells' it kind of confuses me...but confusing me is pretty easily done...I'm guessing you're going to be using a shotgun with a regular barrel?

So...if you're using a smoothbore barrel, use 'rifled' slugs. The slugs have to be rifled because your barrel is not, and, you need the spirals to provide stability for the in-flight slug to be accurate. These come in 2 3/4" or 3". I don't think that matters much if your shots are going to be close. The main thing is that different slugs don't seem to hit the same point of aim, so you'll need to buy 3 or 4 different types and try them to see which your gun shoots accurately.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Also, the more open the choke the better. No tighter than modified, and cylinder choke or improved cylinder is better.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: okchunter

It will either be a Mossberg 500 12 gauge 28" barrel or an 835 12 gauge 28" barrel. Unfortunately neither has a slug barrel.
If you are set on the 835, get the combo model. Hey the 500 combo will kill them dead also!

Quick Reply: Hog hunting with a shotgun...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.