Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shiloh Sharps. >

Shiloh Sharps.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shiloh Sharps.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Shiloh Sharps.

Who shoots a Shiloh Sharps? Mine is a long range Express in 45-70. I shoot black powder cartridges out of it and it shoots beeter than I do.
This is a target with a lyman Postel mould I use.

I don't have a target to post, but this is the Original Win. mould I use in 405gr. It actually shoots better than the Postel!

Not a full picture of the Sharps but this is my hunting rig with my Sharps.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:20 AM

Default RE: Shiloh Sharps.

Lever, that just validates what I've been trying to tell people for years, the 45-70 can be an accurate cartridge.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seen a couple locally, (real beauties,) but have not shelled out the bucks for same. What are you cleaning it with?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:00 PM

I think too many folks that really don't know about black powder and listen to all the guys that talk about how corrosive it is really dampens the spirts with folks actually using black powder.

I can shoot all day at the range and after wards I run about 10 patches of soapy water down my barrel followed by a patch of oil and I am done. Soap and water cleans black powder so quickly and easily. I do the same with my Muzzle loaders. But I do pour hot soapy water down the barrel because you can not deeply clean the breach plug area with a jag or patch. But as long as you neutralize the ash of the Black powder, it will not corode your barrel.

You do have to spend a little time cleaning your brass cases with a brush and your brass will get tarnished. Not reall hard to clean, but if you are shooting B/P all the time, it is kind of a waist of time to keep cleaning the brass of your pistol or cases. I think it adds character to the over all look of the piece and the brass so I have no problem with it.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heh, heh. I know another shooter said he uses Windex. Well, good show. This is a famous cartridge in a famous rifle. Nice to have a piece of history.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:45 PM

Yes, I have heard of that too. I just use soapy water cause it is cheap and easy. Windex will work good on the outside of the rifle and in the action and such.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:01 PM

Sharps rifles bother me persoanly, They look too good to shoot the way they do and i havent been able to afford one yet. A sharps is high on my to buy list of rifles.