Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Choke and ammo combinations for a benelli SBE II >

Choke and ammo combinations for a benelli SBE II

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke and ammo combinations for a benelli SBE II

Old 01-20-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Choke and ammo combinations for a benelli SBE II

Hello All,
Well I went and did it. I bought my first Turkey gun. I bought the Benelli Super Black Eagle II Turkey Gun with a 24” barrel. I know there are less expensive guns out there. There where many factors that made me choose this shotgun. Anyway, I know there are many other Benelli shooters out there. I need some help narrowing down the field of choices of ammo and choke combinations. What ammo and choke combination patterns the best out of your gun? I would like to use hevi shot or something similar. But the Nitro ammunition is a bit to expensive to me. Specially I still need to pattern my new shotgun. Any help you folks can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Alaskan Hunter
Old 01-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choke and ammo combinations for a benelli SBE II

I was just gonna post the same question. I to just got a sbe 2. I use to have an sbe 1. A Rhino choke and #5 winchester supreme shot awesome! I have been stocking up on winchester ammo. All I need now is a nice day to pattern. Oh I will be trying an undertaker choke first out of it. I used the undertaker out of a lot of different guns and it seems to pattern well. Cant wait to hear what everyone is using.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a SBEII with 26" barrel, likeI've posted before, I wouldn't go with a turkey, or super turkey choke tube, unless you plan on taking most of your shots 30 yards and beyond.... Cause if your shooting your birds 20 yards and in, you'll be cutting them in 1/2. As for shot selection any buffered turkey load will work fine in #5 or #6 shot size. My chokes of choice, where I hunt in Illinois is either full or Imp. Mod, of which both should have come with your gun. Full when I hunt field edges and Imp. Mod. when I'm in the woods. I don't use heavy shot, just for the fact that my lead kills. I shoot Winchester Turkey loads and Remington Nitro Turkey. Don't waste your money on the 3.5 inch shells, they pattern the same as 2.75" and 3" shells I have found. But if your shooting longer distances, outside of 30 yards with a turkey choke is when you'll see a difference. Hope this helps, I did a ot of patterning tests when I had purchased my gun.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:07 PM

i have to disagree whitetail, get a turkey x-full choke to leave the 35-40 yard option open. why restrict yourself to 20 yards when ethical and clean kills can be made at double that distance.

to answer the question i shoot a sbe 2 and i bought the carlsons ported turkey choke its around 35 or 40 bucks and is endorsed by the NWTF. as far as ammo i get good patterns outta magnum lead shot loads but better patterns from winchester xtended range hi density. i like 3 1/2 5 shot of watever shell i get but this is personal preference. both choke and ammo are important but IMO choke is more important than the shells.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: whitetailcrazy

I've got a SBEII with 26" barrel, like I've posted before, I wouldn't go with a turkey, or super turkey choke tube, unless you plan on taking most of your shots 30 yards and beyond.... Cause if your shooting your birds 20 yards and in, you'll be cutting them in 1/2. As for shot selection any buffered turkey load will work fine in #5 or #6 shot size. My chokes of choice, where I hunt in Illinois is either full or Imp. Mod, of which both should have come with your gun. Full when I hunt field edges and Imp. Mod. when I'm in the woods. I don't use heavy shot, just for the fact that my lead kills. I shoot Winchester Turkey loads and Remington Nitro Turkey. Don't waste your money on the 3.5 inch shells, they pattern the same as 2.75" and 3" shells I have found. But if your shooting longer distances, outside of 30 yards with a turkey choke is when you'll see a difference. Hope this helps, I did a ot of patterning tests when I had purchased my gun.
I think this is some good overlooked advice. When I'm shooting a tight pattern I consistently miss close birds. I know where he's coming from.