Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Homemade Deer Feeders???????

Old 01-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Homemade Deer Feeders???????

Does anyone have any pictures or good directions on how to make a good deer feeder to be used with corn?
Old 01-13-2007, 04:15 PM

Default RE: Homemade Deer Feeders???????

I use a 4' lenth of 8" pvc pipe that I cut notches in the bottom, then if you can get your hands ontwo of those square " kitty litter" buckets, assemble by screwing in two selfstarting eye screws then use a bungee to strap it to the tree takeyour bucket full of corn ,place the lid under the feeder pour the corn in anduse the empty bucket as a lid. works really well -if you make it a head of time you can camo it. it's amazing what the deer do to if it goes empty , I've found it sideways on the tree a couple of times!!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

This one holds 300# of corn and feeds sunrise and sunset.

http://www.racksnspurs.com/images/feeder.jpg

I'll supply more details if you are interested.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

If you don't mind. I would like to know how you made it.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like what I need. Do you have any pics?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.racksnspurs.com/images/feeder_bot.jpg
http://www.racksnspurs.com/images/feeder_H.jpg
http://www.racksnspurs.com/images/feeder2.jpg

It uses a pickle barrel and holds 300# of corn. The barrel has a recessed top so you need a cover. I had a buddy make one out of sheet metal. The hanger is piece of galv. pipe. I use wire cable and a hoist to get it off the ground. You will need a stool with a hole in it for the spinner, so the weight is not on the spinner when filling the feeder.

If you have bears around, it needs to be off the ground at least 8 feet.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the pictures.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:25 PM

when we were feeding deer and pheasants the best gravity flow feeder we found was a 55 gal plastic bbl liner steamed cleaned.

With the drum sitting on the ground bung side up, drill two holes on opposite sides of the drum about 2" in diameter. Take the bung out and fill with corn, oats, barley, or what ever. then when you are where you want to set it up to feed, with the bung screwed back in flip the bbl so the bung side is down.

The feed will gravity flow out the drilled holes as critters eat. Works great for turkeys as well.

Very little waste. Only problem is that it is self feed and depending upon your game population you might find yourself refilling once a week.

If you have a friend that bends sheet metal he can make a really handy funnel that fits in the bung to help the task of filling the drum

Old 01-21-2007, 09:50 PM

pik of my soon to be finished turkey feeder
Old 02-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

We've tried a few different things over the past years. The first attempt was 6 inch PVC bolted into an 8 inch high plastic bin with a slot cut into the PVC pipe to let the corn flow out. Our high deer density ate more corn than we were able to buy.

We now use galvanized garbage cans with commercial feeder/timers and tripods. We first used plastic barrels but the squirrels chewed holes into them. Raccoons hit our feeders pretty hard until we made varmint cages big enough to keep them from reaching through.

We also tried a cheap form of bucket feeder with a "broom handle" sticking out a hole in the bottom. It worked some but we gave up on it after a few weeks.

You can read more about our follies with deer feeders at our website listed in the signature.

Quick Reply: Homemade Deer Feeders???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.