Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadheads that fly like field points? >

Broadheads that fly like field points?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadheads that fly like field points?

Old 01-08-2007, 09:25 PM

Default RE: Broadheads that fly like field points?

GENERALLY, without praising any one head. A short ferrule and a 1" to 1 1/8" cutting diameter should do well.
And yes, a well tuned bow, definately.
The speed of your bow will have some effect. If you are over 260fps., you really need to be tuned.
Oh! I shoot slick tricks.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 PM

Thanks much. I have an old Hoyt as well as a new Fred Bear. The two fixed heads that seem to be praised highly in the local archery shop are the G5 and the Slick Trick as well. Kinda surprised that no one has tried to steer me towards an expandable. There are some archers locally who swear by some of the newer ones - like the Rage.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:58 AM

Well Tuned Bow + Muzzy Broadhead = Dead Things
Old 01-09-2007, 06:05 AM

Expanding on what Len said, you can get any broadhead flying to the right spot if you not only do what he says, but do particular things when designing your arrow.

That would be: Put lots of weight up front, ton's of drag in the rear, a spine that is correct for your setup (this is a whole lot more complicated than just choosing an arrow from a spine chart). Then, build it correctly and tune your setup the right way.

When broadheads shoot to different locations, that is because they are being affected differently by outside forces. To eliminate these differences, you have to build your arrow for stability, so these forces are reduced and/or have no noticeable effect. In addition, some broadheads have a design that exaggerates any problems in the setup. That doesn't mean you can't shoot these effectively. It just means you have to know what you're doing to get good results. It's worth knowing how to do this

Shooting a broadhead because it flys good out of your setup when others don't is not the best solution. It means your setup is not tuned optimally. It's what I would consider a bandaid approach which is never the best way to go.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:14 AM

I still don't understand this whole thing about fixed blade broadheads.

Even out of a perfectly tuned bow, I don't understand how all broadheads will fly the same. Even with the same tip weight, some will have a flatter trajectory because of less drag/surface area on the broadhead because of the smaller size.

While granted out of a perfectly tuned bow all (or most) broadheads will fly better and group much closer, it would seem it would be impossible to group all 100 gr. broadheads in the same spot out of a well tuned bow.

Just trying to understand this a little more.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 AM

Put lots of weight up front, ton's of drag in the rear, a spine that is correct for your setup (this is a whole lot more complicated than just choosing an arrow from a spine chart). Then, build it correctly and tune your setup the right way.
A good formula for success.

If questions are raised about our responses, we should be given some of the parameters of your concerns. In other words, are we talking about standard hunting parameters (and be specific as much as possible) or are we talking about infinitude?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 AM

I'm not trying to question "responses" here, just trying to learn more for my own benefit.

Even in standard hunting parameters, a lot would depend on the bow, I would think at least.

A slower bow would be more apt to fire different points more effeciently, correct? A quicker bow set-up would probably have a much harder time to adjust to different broadheads (like I said, different tip sizes, different vane set-ups, etc).

The reason I saw this is I was shooting thunderhead 100's andsome other100's (don't remember which)and the thunderheads shot well, but theothers didn't. my bow was well tuned, maybe not "perfectly" but it was shooting bullet holes at 5' from the target, and it did well when I walkback tuned it.

Long story short, the thunderheads shot dead on, but the others didn't, one even dive bombed and busted on the concrete. Needless to say, I went to mechanicals.

Now I'm curious if I worked with my bow more if other broadheads would shoot well too, but like I said it was pretty well tuned. I don't want to say perfect because the chances of acheiving perfection are unrealistic, for most, if not all, archers.

Like I said, not trying to be difficult, just trying to learn a little more.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: newman1

Most would say slick tricks,but any broadhead should fly true out of a well tuned bow.
agreed. I do however use slick tricks.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have mechanicals. they fly the same as field point. They always have opened to me.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 AM

The Tuning Trilogy: Tune the bow, tune the arrow, tune the archer.

Right away I see you have the bow "like I said it was pretty well tuned."

Some are willing to take the time to do it right and others short cut and resolve to only being able to shoot mechanicals and some fixed broadheads.

Got to go to work now.

Quick Reply: Broadheads that fly like field points?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.