Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in Louisiana??

Old 12-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting in Louisiana??

Hey there folks - I've got a pending job offer in Baton Rouge that sounds good. What is Louisiana hunting like? How long is the season? Is there public land to hunt on, in quick driving distance from Baton Rouge? Fill me in.

Any info will be appreciated.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hunting in Louisiana??

Havn't hunted in La., but we have a couple of guys in our club from south La. that drive to south Bama to hunt.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Catus Magnus

Hey there folks - I've got a pending job offer in Baton Rouge that sounds good. What is Louisiana hunting like? How long is the season? Is there public land to hunt on, in quick driving distance from Baton Rouge? Fill me in.

Any info will be appreciated.
Uncle lives in Baton Rouge. He hunts down there. Not sure about the dates. I'll try to get back to ya on that. Deer hunting with dogs is big down there.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:45 AM

http://www.wlf.state.la.us/

This is for the Baton Rouge area. Different parts of the state have different seasons and regulations. The link provided is the Wildlife and Fisheries website (DNR)

Archery
Oct. 1-Jan. 31

Muzzelloader
Nov. 11-17
Jan. 22-28

Still Hunting no dogs
Nov. 18-Dec. 8
Jan. 8-21

Hunting with dogs
Dec. 9-Jan. 7

I hunt in the nothwest part of the state and it's piney hills so it is a little different than hunting in the southern parishes. LA has a lot of public land but, you will have a lot of competition hunting it in the early season and there are more dogs then deer in december in the woods. I am not sure where you are from or what you normally hunt so I can't compare it to what you are used to. Let me know if you would like anymore information.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tigerfan

http://www.wlf.state.la.us/

This is for the Baton Rouge area. Different parts of the state have different seasons and regulations. The link provided is the Wildlife and Fisheries website (DNR)

Archery
Oct. 1-Jan. 31

Muzzelloader
Nov. 11-17
Jan. 22-28

Still Hunting no dogs
Nov. 18-Dec. 8
Jan. 8-21

Hunting with dogs
Dec. 9-Jan. 7

I hunt in the nothwest part of the state and it's piney hills so it is a little different than hunting in the southern parishes. LA has a lot of public land but, you will have a lot of competition hunting it in the early season and there are more dogs then deer in december in the woods. I am not sure where you are from or what you normally hunt so I can't compare it to what you are used to. Let me know if you would like anymore information.
What he said...the hunting is okay. the area i hunt is closer to the mississippi river so we generally take some nice racks every year. like
Tigerfan said, many people run dogs here(i choose not to) and early on there are alot of hunters in the woods like anywhere else i guess. if you could get in a decent club that would be my suggestion. good luck
Old 12-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replies thus far, fellas. I don't want to move anywhere I can't hunt...