Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How long will powder stay good? >

How long will powder stay good?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How long will powder stay good?

Old 12-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Spike

Default How long will powder stay good?

Have1-1/2 boxes of 777 50gr pellets left over from last year. Will these stay OK for a long or short period of time? Whats the time limit if there is such? Help me out here Cayuqad!!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How long will powder stay good?

The main thing is how well they are stored. I always store them in the original container, in a cool dry place. I also make sure they have no contamination. I have a box of Pyrodex Pellets that are now pushing over one year old, and I was shooting some of them the other day with just fine results.

The main thing with any powder, dry, cool place, original container, and something to absorb moisture would not hurt but not necessary. I have them in an original cardboard case that they shipped Goex to me. All my powders are stored in them boxes.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:14 PM

If kept in a dry,cool place they should be alright. I buy 777 every year at the end of hunting season when it goes on sale. This year I'm shooting last years stock,and there is no noticable diffrence in performance at all. I think if the pellets are still sealed they would be the same.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Spike

Thanks for the response. That'sexactly the way Istored this powder. Been kept in a cool-dry location.Both were bought last year although I just opened the second box a month ago. Hopefully I will seesmoke and hear a loud boom tomorrow if I get a shot.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Blackpowder will still be good years and years from now if it's kept dry! I have read of instances where old muzzleloaders were found in attics, etc. where they had been stored for years and they still had a load in them that was good. I'm certainly not suggesting anyone should try firing any gun in that condition because there are obviously other considerations to take into account, I'm just relating what I've read!
Old 12-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have a moisture removing mechanism in your gun safe,and keep your powder thereyou can keepPyrodex or blackfor years.Lee
Old 12-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have powder from 1970,geox 2f..the price is still on can 3 dollars and 95 cents,a can..i still use those cans ..i do turn them upside down every other year..

i was always told that helps..keep can full helps too..so, powder can go 36 years and going..
Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 AM

Will ziplock bags help? That is what I keep it in.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:57 AM

Never had a powder or ammunition storage issue until now. i have some oldround Clean Shot sticks thatsmell like brown sugar after storage for about four years. Willshoot them up next trip to the range.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

As long as it's Black and smells like Ether. When it loses it's smell and turns grey, chance's are it's no good. Likeothers have mentioned, storage is the main factor. I have Gorex and Pyrodex which areyears old and still hasa strong Oderand Black color.

Quick Reply: How long will powder stay good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.