Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats the proper way to grunt and rattle? >

Whats the proper way to grunt and rattle?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the proper way to grunt and rattle?

Old 11-12-2006, 06:42 AM

Default Whats the proper way to grunt and rattle?

Whats the proper way to grunt and rattle? such as times (minutes) how heavy to grunt or rattleect.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats the proper way to grunt and rattle?

Welcome to the best hunting site on the web , you came to the right place for advice and information.
Let me tryto enlighten you on the fine art of whitetail deception , I've been grunting and rattling buck's and doe's in for about 12 years now so I think I know what I'm talking about.
First of all you gotta have right tools meaning grunt calls and real shed antlers , if you don't have real antlers then try to get a good rattle bag .
Most bags will have wooden dowles of diffrent shapes and size but they don't really sound that real , others will have plastic but the real good and hard to find bags will have cheramic thoseare the ones that sound real close tothe real antlers .
Grunt tube's and other calls like the can be found any where but what I like to use is the True Talker and a hands free grunt callwhen I'm rattling at the same time.
Now grunting and rattling works best on the ground or in a blindreason being I can do alot more on the ground like stomping my foot and raking some brush , but if your in a tree stand your limited to just using your grunt call and rattling a little bit.
The way I do it when I'mon the ground is I'll try to concel myself so that any approching deer don't spot me when I'm busy doing all that calling.
Get your self in a spot where you sit and theres a near by brush or shrub to rake when you want to , start off by doing some young buck grunts.
You should sound like your bruping ( urp urrp urrp ) three times or two and the switch to a old buck grunt , you wanna try to sound like a couple of buck's that areabout to spare or fight.
Then use yourantlers or bag a little by bringing the together hit' em a couple of time but not too loud then hit'em again a little harder and grunt at same time .
As you continue this fighting sound , stomp the ground with your foot and using the antler against the brush.
Try to soundlike an all out brawl going on but if you see a buck coming stop quickly and get ready to shoot.
Sorry about the long reply but I'm just tring to explane this as much as possiable.
To get back about how long and how loud , when using the gruntcall threes short grunts then wait for about 30 minutes and then try it again.
Whenusing the rattle bag or sheds just click them together for about two minutes and do it again for three minutes then wait for aout 20 minutes.
Keep tring thisroutine every 30 or 40 minutes or until you seedeer coming in , I hope this informatiom helps you insome way .
Good luck , hope you geta big one , be safe andGod Bless .
Old 11-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also remember that there's a time and a place for it. And you can over do it if you're not careful. When I was in Illinois in late October, the rattling and grunting worked great. I rattled in the buck in my avatar and every buck I grunted at came right to my stand like they were on a rope. In Michigan on public land the deer will laugh at you and run the other way if you try that stuff. It really depends on the time of year and the hunting pressure.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:44 PM

thanks i will try it out
Old 11-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Watch home improvements Tim Allen does a good job of grunting
Old 11-13-2006, 08:13 PM

yes thats true he does do alot of grunting[8D]