Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Average cost of lease? >

Average cost of lease?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Average cost of lease?

Old 09-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Average cost of lease?

Hello All,
I was thinking a while back there might of been a post on what people pay to lease land to hunt. I was wanting to know what it roughly comes out per acre. I suppose it depends on location, but was just trying to find an average. Any Illinois BowHunters with small (10-20 acre)timber leases?

May need to look for different Timber. I hunt close to town on 8-10 acres that has been land locked for 30 yrs or so. I have permission from one party to hunt it and permission from another party to get to it. But being locked for so long that people have just figured out how to get to it. you never know what will come through when hunting, people ridinghorse's, people just out walking, people on otherside of creek come out and practice shoot, four wheelers ect. I even had the great opportunity to watch a father and son across the creek come down 1/4 mile and start a paint ball fight..[:@]

Even though I have manage to take a deer each year, I have to put in a ton of hours just in hopes that a deer will pass through when no one else does! This is my 6th year at this spot, only place I ever hunted. Been only hunting for about this long!

So may be looking for land to hunt or lease. Just an average per acre.

Thanks!
crutch
Old 09-21-2006, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Average cost of lease?

FREE if you give the Owners wife a little piece (of your property) on the side.. LOLShe'll let you HUNT for sure then.. Dont matter what HE says.. She always wears the PANTS..
Old 09-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

FREE if you give the Owners wife a little piece (of your property) on the side.. LOLShe'll let you HUNT for sure then.. Dont matter what HE says.. She always wears the PANTS..
So what your telling me isI need to be looking for does where they are bedding....

Just wanted to know what it averages out per acre!!!

Old 09-21-2006, 01:29 PM

A little blood, sweat, and tears.

The landowner of the property we currently hunt runs a small cattle farm. We mend his fences and buck hay for him in the summer in exchange for permission to hunt. As it stands, we could stop working for him and he would still let us hunt, but he needs the help.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:35 PM

I hunt with a buddy that leases 250 acres of paper company land in northern Minnesota (where the whitetails can be bigguns). He pays $1,500 a year for the plot with a 5 year committment. He is also very gracious to let me and two other buddies hunt it with him during rifle season.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:50 PM

$10 to $70 an acre in IL.

All depends where the land is and how many outfitters are in the area. More outfitters equals more $ due to more competition for the "good land". Problem is these good tracts of land get so expensive that the outfitters have to run alot of hunters to clear a profit. The end result is over hunted good land!

Stay away from the hyped up counties and you can get darn good property at lower end prices.I can help you outpm me.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I can say is that I am glad I got private land that my father-in-law owns! I have access to four different pieces that range from 27 to 400 acres. The prices for a lease are very expensive!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:12 PM

Here in NW Ga / NE Ala., we give about 6-8 bucks per acre.