Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How can I reduce trigger pull weight?? >

How can I reduce trigger pull weight??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How can I reduce trigger pull weight??

Old 08-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default How can I reduce trigger pull weight??

How about "Trigger Servicing" to lessen trigger pull weight, claimed down to about 2 - 2 1/2 lbs.....Is this a good thing to do for a deer rifle, or is the trigger set at "too light" generally afterwards? I have a Remington model 700 xcr stainless in 300 wsmand would like to lighten it up (pull)some.

Any problems which may result from it? Anydamage to metals or to stainless metal actions?

A side note, there is another service noted on ebay now by bcgunsmithing. Is anyone aware of their service? I did notice 2 recent negative feedbacks on ebay for triggersmith for clients not receiving their stuff or getting replies to emails. Also there is negative report on this site re: triggersmith.

Thanks in advance for input.
[align=right]
[/align]
Old 08-24-2006, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How can I reduce trigger pull weight??

2-1/2 pounds is on the light side, but would not be dangerous if you practice enough with it to be aware of how little pressure is required to set it off! And don't let anyone else use that rifle.

I prefer a double-set trigger for hunting, and have mine set lighter than that. However, I don't set the trigger until the rifle is pointed in the general direction of an identified, legitimate target......
Old 08-24-2006, 11:15 AM

I know nothing of the services you are refering to. But, any respectable gunsmith can adjust a remington 700 trigger into the 3 to 3 1/2 pound range.

I idea of a light trigger being anymore or less dangerous than a heavy trigger pull is a falacy. Safety begins and ends with the "nut behind the trigger" (ie you). I'm not a fan of the term "trigger safety" either. Any loaded weapon is dangerous if not kept pointed downrange. I hunt with a light trigger myself, generally in the 3 lb or less range. Though I never load a round into the chamber unless the muzzle is pointed in a "safe" area. I never trust the safety catch on any of my rifles even though I've never had one fail. Think of it this way, Many animals are killed each year with a bow. In order to kill with a bow an archer must draw his weapon before the shot. That is much more movement than cycling the bolt on a rifle. I prefer to hunt on an empty chamber and when an animal I want to harvest is in range I slowly and silently cycle my bolt and take the shot. So in my opinion you can lighten a trigger to a light crisp break that suits you, so long as the trigger still has sufficient sear engagement to negate a "slam fire" (ie so light that when you slam the bolt closed or hit the weapon with force the trigger fails.)
Old 08-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

You can sett them yourself, but you have to be careful that it dont slam fire or fire when you bump it hard on the floor or something. I got mine to about 3lb. theres good directions on google if you search for them. type in 700 trigger adjustment. its easy to do, just follow the directions very closely. And thoroughly test the rifle for slam firing like the directions will tell you.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Anthony T.

You can sett them yourself, but you have to be careful that it dont slam fire or fire when you bump it hard on the floor or something. I got mine to about 3lb. theres good directions on google if you search for them. type in 700 trigger adjustment. its easy to do, just follow the directions very closely. And thoroughly test the rifle for slam firing like the directions will tell you.
I have adjusted more 700 trigger's that I can remember,just follow the instructions...

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RemingtonTriggers.asp
Old 08-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PaJack

ORIGINAL: Anthony T.

I have adjusted more 700 trigger's that I can remember,just follow the instructions...

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RemingtonTriggers.asp
I've only done one, but I did a good job on it. You can't go wrong if you follow the instructions closely.