Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 The difference in bolts >

The difference in bolts

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

The difference in bolts

Old 01-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default The difference in bolts

I shoot a Barnett Quad 300 and up until last fall used aluminum bolts. Last fall I tried carbon bolts for the first time and found the flew straighter and faster then my aluminum bolts. This was the first two things I noticed about the carbon bolts. Has anyone else found differences which makes them chose one type of bolt over another?
Old 01-22-2006, 11:17 AM

Default RE: The difference in bolts

Yeah i have found the same thing as you moxie...i started off using Easton 2216's, they flew ok but never that accurate...Then i purchased some Horton Carbon Strike MX's and it was a big difference...my groups were tighter and I could be more accurate from greater distance...plus carbon bolts wont bend and stay bent, they only flex...but alluminum bends and stays bent...thats why i choose carbon
Old 01-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

I know the difference between alumunum and carbon is great, and I use carbon, but what if anything is the difference between the brands of carbon arrows. Does one brand shoot better than another? What about weight difference between brands or are allthe carbon arrows the same for a 20 inch bolt. I have never heard anyone talk about this before and was just wondering.
BuddyBo
Old 01-22-2006, 10:48 PM

same for me, shot al for a long time and two years ago switched to carbon and love them. Never thought about a different brand though. I just shoot the hortons.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:05 PM

I went back to alu...had a carbon brake as I hit too close to the fornt shoulder...when he moved, his shoulder snapped off the arrow right in front of the vanes, and that peice fell out, and the other 3/4 of the arrow fell out a few steps later...I think alu would have stayed in him longer, and done more damage. All in all, I'm glad it went like it did...I made a bad shot, and big boy is still cruising around without so much as a limp...hope he donates some venision to me nect year.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

SUPER CARBON ARROWS, INC. - Reviewed by Daniel James Hendricks
Who makes the best crossbow arrows on the market? I don’t really know for sure myself, but what I do know is that after shooting SC Magnum Crossbow Arrow from Super Carbon Arrows, I know what I am going to shooting out of my crossbow in the future.

Super Carbon makes arrows for both vertical and horizontal bowhunters. ALL of their carbon shafts are machine rolled for consistency and multi-layered for strength. The precision ground surface offers a smooth finish, while providing the perfect surface for fletch adhesion. Laser checked for straightness, Super Carbon shafts are unsurpassed in consistency of spine weight and straightness.

The Magnum Crossbow Arrow is made to handle the punishing speed and power of today’s crossbows. The precision ground finish provides a quiet, smooth launch allowing your crossbow to perform to the optimum levels of speed and power. The twenty-inch arrows are perfectly fletched with Dura-Vanes and have Moon-Nock and inserts already installed.

I order mine without the vanes, as I like to dress up my arrows with custom arrow wraps from the Bohning Company in Lake City, MI. With Bohning arrow wraps, not only do your vanes and feathers adhere better to the shafts, but also the handsome look they give your arrows makes them unique and able to stand out in a crowd.

The performance of the Magnum Crossbow Arrows is the best and most fun thing to talk about. How many times have you gotten a half dozen arrows and not been able to get a tight group with them. Well it’s happened to me more than I care to discuss and it’s simply because some arrow manufacturers use their junk shafts to make crossbow arrows. Super Carbon’s Magnum Crossbow Arrows fly consistently and true, at least with the bow, tips and broadheads we were shooting.

Our combination of Magnum Crossbow Arrow and a 100-grain Steel Force broadhead (a traditional, cut-on-contact broadhead) proved to be an effective combination. We sighted in our bow with a field-tip. When we were zeroed in, we changed tips and the arrow was still on the mark. Best of all, there was no variation in arrow flight from one shaft to the next.
Another good thing about the sturdy carbon shafts in the Magnum Crossbow Arrow is that you will be able to use them repeatedly. At the high price of arrows, its nice to know that the only way you will be able to destroy these arrows are to loose them or to shred them in the target with a shot from another Magnum. If you are looking for a durable, accurate and uniform crossbow arrow, you owe it to yourself to check out the Magnum Crossbow Arrow.

For more information on the complete line of Super Carbon shafts, give them a call at 540-337-3600. Tell them that the Horizontal Bowhunter Magazine sent you and they will be happy to see to your questions and your needs.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

t also has great arrows for xbows both aluminum and carbons, in carbons you can either get their standard arrows which I have shot them and the are weight matched so there is little difference if flight between arrows and they fly true have even shoot Robin Hoods with these arrows and am able to keep very tight groups then they have their Premium hunting arrows Pre Tuned spin tested great arrows you can check them out at the TenPoint Website www.tenpointcrossbows.com. you would not regret getting these arrows either the standars ones ot the premium hunting arrows
Old 01-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

DJH,,,,, A very interesting article and I went to check out there web site. I may have order a couple dozen for summer practice.