Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mule deer vs Whitetail deer?

Old 11-20-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Mule deer vs Whitetail deer?

I have always wondered how much harder whitetails are really apposed to mule deer? from What i have heard is that whitetails are more like elk then mule deer is this true?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:51 PM

Default RE: Mule deer vs Whitetail deer?

IMO Mule deer hunting is harder than the other. More spot and stalk.
A few days scouting a bean/alphalfa field can get you in position to score on a WT Deer.
Head to the open, brushy counrty of the West and Mule deer WILL drive you crazy. I Bowhunt so dont get the chance to
take a 300 yard shot at a deer. Again IMO the Mule deer is harder to hunt....I dont think that Elk, Mule Deer, and WT Deer,
can be hunted the same way. Elk take WAY more time, better physical indurance, and calling techniques that
must be learned and understood before venturing out into Gods country. The bottom line is that Elk hunting is
another monster all in itself. Happy hunting....be it WT, Muley, or the Elk.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:48 PM

Both can be tough to hunt depending on the terrain and bagging a true trophy regarding either species is equally as difficult.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats kind of funny. Though I have never taken a WT deer, I have killed elk (1) and mule deer (4) in8 years of hunting on 7 tags. My elk came this year. I would have to say, I put less leg work into that elk (a cow, but I was within 60 yards of 4 different mature bulls before I got a shot at a cow), then I have trying to get a good mule deer and ending up with tag soup (twice that has happened to me, 2002 and last year)!!
Old 11-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 58THECAT

Both can be tough to hunt depending on the terrain and bagging a true trophy regarding either species is equally as difficult.
I agree....I've had hunt/harvest that have come very easy,and I've had them that have been extremely difficult...
It all comes to terrain that you are hunting and if you want to go that extra mile to see what lies on the horizon.....
Regardless of whether your hunting fields,alpine,quakes and aspens etc....
Or reguardless o wether you camo, wind conditions,cover scent.....etc.
A Decision must be made..Take that riskof pushing a possible trophy right country if you walk or have it walk (right over your tracks 5 minutes later).......Or sit and hold tight,hope your in the right area,in hopes that something comes to your view ......
Neither comes easy, it takeslots time in the field,than skill,to bag a trophy of either species..
Looking Back,one thing I've noticed from is that when I was younger(13-15yrs of age) and even looking through magizines now a days,wasthat when I was walking I saw an overaboundance of Big Bucks in the bush..
Hence I shot a few big ones,and thats what got my standards high at a young age....
Even looking at mags,alot of these big bucks are shot by teenagers......
Much more so than I do when I walk now....Even with scent.....
I think one possible reason was that my scent wasn't as strong as when I hit 17/18years and older ......