Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 300.wsm vs. 300 rem ultra mag. >

300.wsm vs. 300 rem ultra mag.

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

300.wsm vs. 300 rem ultra mag.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 300.wsm vs. 300 rem ultra mag.

I think we need to look atthe different types ofhandloaders to better understand what is being said here.There are those of us that spend a great deal of time developing loads and testing different component combinations and seating depthsuntil we discover which load will provide the best combination of accuracy,velocity and bullet performance on game.These are the people that really understand the concept of load development.Then there are those people thatsimply choose aspecificload printed in a manual and load it up and hunt with it.They assume that just because it is a handload,it must offer superior accuracy and performance and if it doesn't they condemn handloading as a wasted effort.These people may consider themselves handloaders,but they really have no comprehension of load development and their efforts often produce results that offer no advantages over factory loads.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe the RUM is an efficient round when you look at how much more goes in and what come out.
No offence intended but I think you are completely missing the point of a cartridge like a .300 ultramag. It isn't designed to be efficeint but rather to deliver .30 cal bullets at long range with high velocity and energy. If you want something effecient then a 6.5 Swede comes to mind. But if you want to ( and are capable of ) take 400 yd shots at heavy game like moose and elk then the Ultramag is going to be a more effecient killer even if it burns more powder per foot per second. When you point a rifle at an animal you should worry about the shot killing as quickly as possible, not what it costs per round.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I think we need to look atthe different types ofhandloaders to better understand what is being said here.There are those of us that spend a great deal of time developing loads and testing different component combinations and seating depthsuntil we discover which load will provide the best combination of accuracy,velocity and bullet performance on game.These are the people that really understand the concept of load development.Then there are those people thatsimply choose aspecificload printed in a manual and load it up and hunt with it.They assume that just because it is a handload,it must offer superior accuracy and performance and if it doesn't they condemn handloading as a wasted effort.These people may consider themselves handloaders,but they really have no comprehension of load development and their efforts often produce results that offer no advantages over factory loads.
you forgot one stubble..........the guy who reloads to slightly improve accuracy but save money. I got into reloading because when I bought my 300 RUM I didnt want to pay $35-$40 a box. Now I reload for all of my rifles and I have all of them grouping between .75 and 1.25 and am saving money. I dont redevelope loads or even improve them. If I consistently shoot 1.1 out of my 06 then I stay with it.