Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest? >

Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest?

Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 PM

Default RE: Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest?

It looks like you have decided on the QAD already and I think you will be happy with it. I have the Pro model on my Bowtech Defender and it works great. I did have to adjust the spring because I am shooting 295fps. There are some good tips in this thread already.

-Position the rest as close to the riser as possible. Many problems are caused by people setting it to far back.
-Make sure that it is high enough that the prongs will at least lay horizontal when in the resting postion. If they are angled up, you will have clearance problems.
-Adjust the cord properly.
-I shoot my arrows with the cock vane up.
-If you need the rest to drop faster, there is a pdf with instructions on how to do this. I can email it to you or Charles Beasley will send it to you if you ask for it.
-If you need more left adjustment, the rest comes with a horizontal spacer. Use that. If that isn't enough, move the prongs over to the next set of holes in the shaft. Should be more than plenty.

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:25 PM

G2,

You are correct on everything you listed, most of which I had to learn the hard way. The 2006 BowTech's do nothave any more problems with windage adjustment so no need for the spacer, but I did move launcher arm out to outboard hole. I was getting all three vanes contacting launcher arm. I have the PDF and did my best to make spring adjustment, but I messed up and got the dog bone and very small spring out of position. Sure you know what that is all about. The QAD factory setting is approx 5.6 ounces and Charles stated I need to be at 7 ounces with the specifications of my bow and my 31 inch draw length. The QAD has 12 adjustment holes for speed. In short, I shipped it back to QAD and Charles fine tunned it for me to 7 ounces. I should be getting it anyday. That's what I call excellent customer service.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:41 PM

MilDot,

Let me know how it works out. Unfortunately I pulled some of the threads out of the screw which tightens the rest for the horizontal adjustment. I was able to get a couple to grab so I didn't want to send it back until after the season. I might just have Charles do some fine tuning on mine and see if it works better than what I have done.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:55 PM

G2,

The advantage Charles hasmust besome type of gauge that can measure the ounces of pull on launcher arm. You will want 7 ounces also. If we had that gauge, we could do all the adjustments at home. Next time I'm tapeing the shaft so I don't lose the dog bone position. I love this rest, I don't regret a thing because once it is customized for my bow it will be a perfect match. These new bowsthat are faster are paving the way for the companies building components for them. We need to understand that and be patient. QAD has the best customer service I have seen in a long time. Charles spent allot of time with me and he was always very polite. I wish for the best with his company in the years to come.Good luck on changing your rest out. Just remember the magic number of 7 ounces.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:02 PM

I did quite a bit of research on all three (3) Ripcord, QAD and Troply Taker and decided on the QAD ultra rest. I called the manufacturer and talked to the engineer's about their product and if they had any issues with their product. They did say at one time they had some fletch clearance issues and resolved that by adding a higher launcher to the installation packet. The main reason I decided upon the QAD was because of the ability to lock the launcher in the "up" position. After about 30 shots through my Bowtech Tribute in 105 degree heat (AZ), the launcher failed to lock in the up position. I was able to continue to shoot the rest but not able to lock it in the up position. I called QAD and they are sending out another. They did say they had a batch go out that had an excess amout of grease in the inner chamber that causes the "dog gear" not to catch. I will wait for the new rest and give an update if the new rest resolves my issue. The whole idea for purchasing the rest was for the ability to lock in the up position and not drop down as the Ripcord does on a let down.
I have no issues at all with clearance and do like how the rest performs. Hoping for the best when the new one arrives.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I had two of them go with the same problem and resolution that maggietribute found. It's a really nice rest, but not dependaple. I sold mine after the second one failed and switched to a Matthews drop away. So far no problems.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:05 PM

Hi
I've used all three and the "Schaffer Tec 1 dropawy rest" is the best thats just my thoughts
Old 06-16-2006, 05:27 PM

Quad i use it,i love it.Tropht taker clank,noisy as hell no matter what you do,i had one for a week lol.Ripcord good but lacks all the bells and whistles of the quad.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

Trophy Taker; simply the best
Old 06-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

I JUST PUT A QAD ON AND SO FAR NO PROBLEMS

Quick Reply: Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.