Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 drips & mock scrapes >

drips & mock scrapes

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

drips & mock scrapes

Old 10-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default drips & mock scrapes

just got back from wally world w/ my new dripper & would like to hear any tips on how to set up. the dripper came w/ active scrape scent.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: drips & mock scrapes

Does anyone know if these things work. I have thought about buying one but want to know everyone's opinion on them first...?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:48 AM

As far as dripping only during the day and not at night they work. Wether or not they pattern deer to visit scrapes during the day I'm not sure. I have had several out over scrapes and the scrapes stayed hit hard, but I've never actually seen a big buck working them. I have been using Buck Fever Synthetic Rut formula to make mock scrapes and man have they tore the area up!! I am going to put some of that in my dripper and see what that does for me.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

I put a dripper over a scrape on Sunday, and the next 3 days he showed up. on Thurs at 4 I let him walk. They work
Old 10-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just started using one this year.I put it out the first day of season and on the 3rd week, I arrowed a big 9 pointer right in front of it. However, I can't really say that he was cruising through checking it or not. The scrape itself wasn't torn up either.

But, I think I can safely say I'll keep using it.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

I put one up this past Sunday and hunted the area on Wens.
I had 2 large does 1 med and a couple yearlings near the mock scrape. The 2 large does had thier noses high in the air but none of them actually went up to or in the scrape.
We shall see.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I put 2 of them out this past Monday, I hung them over mock scrapes that I made that day at the same time that I hung them up. I Hung one up, then made a mock scrape right under the dripper, put Active scrape in the dripper, and then dumped a little in the scrape. This was at 3:50 PM. I got in my stand and had 3 does and an 8 pointer check it out at 4:05. They didnt paw at the scrape, but they did sniff all around it and the 8 pointer licked the licking branch that I made. At 4:10, I arrowed that buck at 15 yards. I dont think the scrape is what brought them in, I think they just happened to be in the area, and came up on it. But it sure was fun to watch.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah they work. I have used them for the past 3 years. I put one up on Thursday and on Friday morning i had a doe come in and spot it, stand in it, and try to sniff the dripper. She messed around in it for a good 5 minutes or so before moving on. Yesterday afternoon i moved the dripper over to a different scrape i had made and i checked it this morning and there are prints all over it. I have watched bucks and does both work these scrapes with the dripper over the last few years.

Make sure you put your scrape in an area where a buck would likely scrape. If you have rubs around or other real scrapes, that would be a good sign. I normally put them in the woods along major deer travel routes. I dont mess with setting up along field edges. I have found these to be less productive. Find a tree with branches hanging down and make your scrape under it. Make it about 4 feet long, 3 feet wide. Make sure you are odor free, wear gloves, and use a stick to make the scrape. I also like to find big trees in the area where i scrape, then i take a knife or any other sharp object and make mock rubs. The doe i seen yesterday was brought in by the rubs, i could tell when she spotted them, it was pretty cool. Good luck. By the way, the package that comes with that dripper and the 4 oz active scent is a great deal. A dripper by itself is around 15 bucks, and 1 oz of scent is normally around 5. I paid 20 for 4 oz active scrape and the dripper.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:01 AM

well, the drippers usually come with a scent called "active scrape" can't think of who makes it right now, but last week i put some of it out in a little tinks container and hung i from a tree. no results that night or the next mornin. but the next night, i had a spike and nubben by it. next those two left and a smaller 6-8 pointer inside the earsstarted coming in. i grunted he came in and then he chased the spike away who was coming back. then behind me i heard a deer running and looked back. i turned around to see what it was and it was antoher 6-8 pointer, outside the ears. he chased that little buck away and came back towards me. i watched him for abou 20 minutes circling my stand and finnaly laying down on a ridge just to my left side. it got dark and when i could barely see he came next to me and the other 6-8 pointer came back towards me too. the big buck was sniffing the scent and started to make a scrape right there. i dont know where the other buck went. well i had to get out of my stand so i radioed to my uncle to come down and walk up on the bucks. he walked up and the buck never ran. so i got down and we left him alone.
well i didnt use the dripper but the scent it comes with definately works here in wisconsin
Old 10-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

They work, but I'm not sure if they work better than a bottled scent that you can spray on the mock scrape when you hunt. I haven't seen bucks start a pattern around scrapes with the dripper bag..but have seen new bucks in the area sniff them out..then come and investigate them.

Quick Reply: drips & mock scrapes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.