Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Of slugs, scopes, and sights >

Of slugs, scopes, and sights

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Of slugs, scopes, and sights

Old 08-20-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Of slugs, scopes, and sights

Still trying to determine which gun will make it into my stable. I am looking for a slug gun that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I will use it primarily out of a stand, but will likely also do some drives each year. What are your opinions on rifle sights, red dot scopes, and rifle type scopes? For my use, is there a benefit or burden for each type. Right now my final choice seems to be between the HR Ultra Slug and a Benelli Nova Combo. The HR will cost me $230 +scope. I think I can get the Benelli for around $200 by trading the Nova I already have. The Nova is rifle sighted. What do you think?
Old 08-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Of slugs, scopes, and sights

Rem 870 Slug Gun.......Shotgun Scope......Try 3-4 types of sabots.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:57 PM

The H&R's are nice for the money, but heavy and only give you one shot unless you are quick at reloading. I doubt it would be very fun on a drive or stalking deer. You would get tired of carrying it very fast I think.

As far as what type of sights that really depends. How well do you shoot with what sights and what kind of distances do you plan on shooting? I like scopes or red dots, I just seem to shoot better with them than I do open sights. But if you are talking shorter distances and are good with open sights they can be plenty accurate and fast to use. Not to mention pretty simple, which is sometimes good when hunting.

If you were talking tree stand or blind hunting only I would really suggest the H&R for the money. Or the savage bolt action is really nice if you have the money. But when you throw doing drives or possibly stalking I would be looking for something different.

My suggestion would be the mossberg 500 or field grade 870 combo. If you want a scope get the cantilever barrel option. Good fiber optic sights would be nice to if you are comfortable with them. If you go scoped get a low power scope. Like 1.5 to 2 power on the lower end. Or just a fixed 2 power if you can find one. And look for one with a good field of view. Normally longer eye relief scopes give up some field of view as a trade off. At least the ones I have looked at recently. A quick look at Cabela's website or something simular would let you know. Also if you are thinking of shots inside of 100 yards, like 50 to 75 yards and in I would look for a scope with the parallax set at around 50 yards. Some companies will reset them at your request as well.

Either of these guns can be had fairly cheap and are plenty accurate from what I have seen if mated with the right ammo. And the pump would be a bit lighter and offer you an easy follow up shot if you needed it. The lower power scope would make it easier to aquire your target when rushed, as would the larger field of view. And don't get the cheapest scope you can find either. If you do it may fog up or fail on you at the worst time. Stay around the 100 dollar mark or up and you should be ok. That's only my opinion though, and they vary greatly on optics. Mostly it depends on your income from what I have seen.

Or if you have the money get a good auto, they are even better for drives if they function good. Plus they seem to ease the recoil a bit as well.

The only reason I don't suggest the Nova is because all the ones I have looked at were noisy, and from what I understand they are not very versitale as far as barrel swaps and the such. I would check the cost of the barrels first. Nice guns though, silky smooth action. I think they are great for water foul, but for deer or turkey I passed on one.

Paul
Old 08-20-2005, 05:25 PM

Like I said, I already own a Nova and I really like it. I have looked at the instuction book and the barrel change seems pretty simple: unscrew the cap on the magazine and remove. I have'nt been to the local shop, but they say that they have a combo with bird barrel and slug barrel. I have checked the barrel price: Ithaca would be $180 and Benelli something like $300-400! Will probably go check it out tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:51 PM

That's what I have heard, the barrels are expensive. Otherwise I would just say put a different barrel on it. If the one for 180 fits your gun that would not be a bad idea either. I didn't mean to imply they were hard to change, just for the money you could get a combo package in a mossberg or remington instead. However neither of those will shoot 3 1/2 inch mags if that is important to you.

Another thing to consider is a dedicated slug rifle might have a better trigger on it more suited for slug shooting vrs shooting shot. Like the H&R or savage. I wouldn't discount an inline muzzle loader either. They are pretty effective, just a bit more of a hassle to shoot. And again, not the best for a drive. They are a one shot deal for sure! Unless you meet up with a really stupid deer.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-21-2005, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

The H&R's are nice for the money, but heavy and only give you one shot unless you are quick at reloading. I doubt it would be very fun on a drive or stalking deer. You would get tired of carrying it very fast I think.

If you were talking tree stand or blind hunting only I would really suggest the H&R for the money. Or the savage bolt action is really nice if you have the money.

Paul
I think Paul said it perfectly...
Old 08-21-2005, 04:54 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

That's what I have heard, the barrels are expensive. Otherwise I would just say put a different barrel on it. If the one for 180 fits your gun that would not be a bad idea either. I didn't mean to imply they were hard to change, just for the money you could get a combo package in a mossberg or remington instead. However neither of those will shoot 3 1/2 inch mags if that is important to you.

Another thing to consider is a dedicated slug rifle might have a better trigger on it more suited for slug shooting vrs shooting shot. Like the H&R or savage. I wouldn't discount an inline muzzle loader either. They are pretty effective, just a bit more of a hassle to shoot. And again, not the best for a drive. They are a one shot deal for sure! Unless you meet up with a really stupid deer.

Good luck,
Paul
Ditto!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:15 AM

Per the weight issue of the HR -- My Benelli weighs in at about 8lbs too. So, I'm used to lugging a rock.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:05 AM

The H&R is closer to 11 or 12 lbs fully rigged. If your a big guy and used to it you would be ok I guess. It would be steadier to shoot off hand if you could lift it.

I'm not saying don't get one, for the money they are pretty nice weapons. And from what I hear you can have the factory to a trigger job on them that is pretty good. I think if you had the extra money the Savage bolt action would be a better gun for what you want. I think they are about twice as much as the H&R's though. Of course the build quality is much better as well. If money was not an issue with me that is what I probably would have bought.

I think from the sounds of it you already know what you want though, so just go for it I guess. I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed in the H&R in the performance department, it is just a heavy gun is all. It does however manage recoil very well. And you can remove the weight bar from the stock if you want.

Paul