Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

DIY Sheep Hunt?

Old 08-05-2005, 11:10 AM

Default DIY Sheep Hunt?

Guys/gals,

I need help. I have always dreamt of sheep hunting. There is no way on earth I can afford the prices that outfitters want to charge for sheep hunts. Its insane what they charge. I need help! what should I do? Where should I apply? I need it all. I don't care whether its Rocky Mountain Big Horn, Dall, Desert BigHorn, orStone; I just want a sheep hunt that is affordable. I realize that I may have to apply for years apon years but I need a direction to start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY Sheep Hunt?

Your best bets would be:

Montana - have OTC areas, but have a harvest objective. When the kill of full curl rams has met the objective, the season closes. I think thats archery only, but not sure, might check on that. This would be Rocky Mtn. Bighorn. I think there are some areas that have quotas for ewes. But most are draw only.
Idaho - Once in a lifetime draw, and you better be willing to wait.
Wyoming - Same story
Washington - They have some good Rocky Mtn / California bighorn hunts, as does Oregon. Not sure on if they are once in a lifetime or not. Again, better be willing to wait.
Colorado- Again, not sure about theonce in a lifetime thing, but you had better be willing to wait. I think there are a few Deserts there too.
Utah - Once in a lifetime - Rocky Mtn, and Desert. What a wait
Arizona, andNew Mexico -MostlyDeserts, not sure about theonce in a lifetime thing again, and asalways, a long wait.
Nevada - Three species. Rocky Mtn (only 1 tag for Non res), Desert (19 tags this year), and California (5 tags this year).5 year wait before you can applyagain if you draw. 10 years if you get one.I have known people who have gone 30 years and not drawn, and people who have drawn in year #2, so who knows.

Either way, I don't think you will pay less than $800 for a tag and license. $1300 or more would be the norm. Then you have the cost of the trip, and all the logistics involved in that. Not sure where you live, but you could easily spend $3000 on a DIY hunt easily. I would almost be willing to spend the money on the guide providing I drew a tag.

Dall and Stone are out of the question for DIY, unless you have a brother in AK.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:56 AM

I've been reading about the unlimited units in montana. It sounds unbelievably tuff."like walking on the moon" one hunter said of the landscape. It might be my only option though.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have also been wanting to get a sheep, and really want to work for it. Onlything standing in my way is money. I think next year I will apply for either NW Arizona, or SW Utah for Desert Sheep. I should be able to afford those two states. I will also look into the bonus point system to see if I can skip a year, and apply for one state every other year. I am also applying for Nevada all 3 sheep, and mountain goat.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

I don't hunt sheep in Colorado they are all over where I guide so it would be like shooting the pet cow. But I can tell you the process.

You apply for three years to before you are elligible to get into the lottery drawing. Then it is pure luck after that. Most guys make by seven years. Sounds like a long time I'm sure. If your not successful you may start the process again. If you are successful I believe you have to wait seven years before applying again.