Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Illuminated Reticles

Old 10-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Spike

Default Illuminated Reticles

Any one use an illuminated reticle? Last night I went to check zero and do some practice and dusk and it was difficult to see the crosshairs at the end of legal light. If you use one, do you like it?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup. Works for when you need it. Just be sure you pick a model with a controllable position, such you can turn it on quickly and easily so you don't blind yourself by firing it up at too high of setting.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

they work, but if you cannot adjust the brightness its very easy for the lighted recital to drown out the target too!
under most LEGAL shooting hours, I have been just fine with good optic's and standard reticles, but I do own a few with lighted one's , find them more useful for target shooting
Old 10-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Spike

Will astigmatism make the reticle blurry like a red dot? I always had that problem with my Aimpoint, even with contacts in.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

No. Traditional illuminated reticles don't have the same flare response for shooters with astigmatism. I have TERRIBLE astigmatism in my right eye, although I do shoot a lot of red dot sights, so my red dot reticles look like bug splats. My illuminated reticles all appear crisp and clean.

The two don't work in the same way - illuminated reticles are "shining" onto the wire or etched reticles, whereas red dot sights are reflecting the collimated laser back to the shooter.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got a Bushne3ll with both red and green
Old 10-22-2017, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use them but rarely find them useful in my normal hunting. However, they are great for seeing an aiming point on dark or black animals standing in deep shadows.