Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Re-centering a scope? >

Re-centering a scope?

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Re-centering a scope?

Old 01-21-2017, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Re-centering a scope?

Last fall I swapped scopes from one rifle to another that I had just got, the scope worked perfectly on the first rifle but even after adjusting as far as I could it was still several inches to the left on the new gun. I figure the problem was cheap mounts and or rings. I am now wondering how to get the cross hairs back to the center so when I remount this scope again It will be centered as if it were new.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by caplock
Last fall I swapped scopes from one rifle to another that I had just got, the scope worked perfectly on the first rifle but even after adjusting as far as I could it was still several inches to the left on the new gun. I figure the problem was cheap mounts and or rings. I am now wondering how to get the cross hairs back to the center so when I remount this scope again It will be centered as if it were new.
I would recheck everything and take rings apart and switch caps,rings and even bases if possible around to see if that works or at least helps?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

What scope make and model?? I am assuming you are wondering how to recenter the windage adjustment. To do that, you have to know how many clicks it has in the adjustments. If, as you say, you have fully ran it out to the left, then if you know how many clicks of adjustment is has, divide that number in half and run it back to that number to the right. You should then be at center value. Do the same with elevation as well. As far as your problem getting it on paper with that particular rifle, it could be any number of things. The holes in the receiver could be off. The scope base holes could be off. The scope base itself could have a slight runout. The base of one of your rings could be off making them misaligned. I have an alignment tool that I use when I mount bases and rings. Lets me know beforehand if I will need to shim or lap the rings. Seen a lot of scopes damaged from misaligned rings.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

like super_hunt54, can screw in and then out and count
BUT be careful NOT all scopes have a zero stop on coming OUT, and seen many completely remove the adjustments due to they never stopped on way out!

something else to consider, on scopes, is there any dents in the tube from being mounted in rings?
I have seen scope fail from that, or throw things off center to much to have scope allow for adjustment
NEXT will be the screw holes in the receiver ,sadly have also seen them drilled off center on some rifles, to be way out of spec, and then you need adjustable bases to adjust for that!

on windage and elevation adjustments, on many scopes I have seen them hang up and NOT move things , its one of the weakest parts of s scope, and repeatably is the name of the game on quality scopes or NOT in that area as well!
Old 01-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

The new gun had an old weaver 4x scope on it and I didn't like the fine cross hairs, so I put a scope that I had recently taken off another gun on. The weaver scope worked on the gun just fine but I didn't like the fine wire cross hairs. The scope that I was trying to use on it worked good on other gun also, the only thing I bought new were the rings, I don't remember brand but inexpensive. I seem to recall an article that I read years ago about being able to use a mirror and watch through the scope while adjusting the windage and being able to see cross hairs line up? Any of that make sense? The scope is an old 4x tasco pronghorn so probably doesn't have stops on the screens.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, you have already diagnosed your problem with being out of adjustment range. Bad rings. I am assuming you are using the same base and since the scope worked fine on the other rifle, then the only factor that is left is the new rings.

I can't find any data regarding how much adjustment there is with that particular scope.

I can tell you this though, crappy glass is just that! And I don't think I have ever seen a "good" Tasco scope. Granted that may be all some can afford and they have to deal with it, but in all reality, one can save a little longer and get a MUCH better scope than any Tasco ever made. Good glass is just as important as a good rifle! Unless you are shooting open sites, a good rifle will shoot crappy with crappy glass. And there are several makers out there nowadays with good quality glass at an affordable price. Even Leupold has some quality glass that wont break a budget. I even found out here of late that Zeiss has a scope line, Terra, that's very affordable but I haven't had the chance to look through any of them yet. But I highly doubt Zeiss would put their name to anything less than extreme quality.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

hold the scope against a mirror, look through it, you will see the reticle and the reflection of it, turn the knobs till the reticle and the reflection are exactly in line. your erector tube is now mechanicaly centered
RR
Old 01-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

RR,

I love it when it's simple !!!
Old 01-22-2017, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Ridge Runner thats what I was looking for, I'll give that a try.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool trick. Good one RR!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.