Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40 >

Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40

Old 07-31-2016, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40

I'm thinking about putting one of these scopes on my 25/06. I see two models one with CDS one without. What are your thoughts on the CDS? Thanks in advance

Brian
Old 07-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

So as you can see that there are many variables/conditions to which the target turrets are calibrated for ??

http://huntinglife.com/leupold-cds-s...ard-gramza-iv/

Still only practice will confirm the POI for your turrets at various distances and conditions.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me, i would opt for the CDS dial. However, i would hold off for awhile, before i ordered the free engraved for your ammo dial.

My old 4X, and old vari-x III, i sent to Leupold to install a CDS dial. Cost was $60 each, and has made my shooting adventures quite a lot more fun. The engraved dials allow one to range the target, then twist the dial, and be good for elevation. For me this results in fun, and meat in the freezer.

Playing around with the generic moa dial is fun too. One needs the MV, the data for the bullet, a ballistic calculator, a range finder, and the rifle sighted in with the dial at zero. From there, one can twist the dial whatever the calculator say for the range, and have the bullets impact whatever the target is. Great fun! Great fun to burst a pop can at 1/4 mile with the very first shot, using the simple moa dial twisted up, by using what you know, and mathematics.

For hunting it is best to have enough practice, and a dial engraved for your load.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys that sounds fun for sure. I do like the idea of the CDS a lot. My only fear is it getting knocked around while hunting and causing a miss lol. I guess that could happen with any scope.
I do intend to practice a ton with the new scope once I get it. I'm sure it has a mark for your zero so you can just turn back to it after you've made adjstments
Old 08-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

One very important feature for me is a "side" adjust for parallax !!!