Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope for a CVA wolf

Old 11-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Spike

Default Scope for a CVA wolf

I'm in the market for a scope for my CVA wolf it's open sights now but I'm wanting to put a scope on it but I know nothing about scopes so who can give me some good information on scopes for a muzzle loader
Old 11-30-2015, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

first off, muzzleloader's don't have the ability to reach out as far as a rifle and have more arc in the bullet path so to me a really high magnification scope isn't necessary.
i also prefer a scope that includes the little hash marks or "bullet drop compensator" markings when you look through the glass as it helps gain consistency when getting out past 100 yards and using holdover.
for these reasons i really like the vortex i have on my muzzleloader and would recommend it but there are definitely many other great choices out there that you may prefer as well. good luck!
Old 11-30-2015, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Daniel72
I'm in the market for a scope for my CVA wolf it's open sights now but I'm wanting to put a scope on it but I know nothing about scopes so who can give me some good information on scopes for a muzzle loader
Whats your budget? Give us that and we can give you some good recommendations. I would hate to give you a long tutorial on good quality optics only to find out your looking for a $49 scope.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Spike

I don't have a budget on a scope for this gun
Old 11-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

You must have some idea of your general price range. It would help the fellows here in their efforts to answer your question.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

i get why everyone wants to know how much he wants to spend but in all honesty on an inline muzzleloader its senseless to drop more than $400-$500 anyway. past that you are buying features that aren't worth as much to the shooter as they would be on a high powered rifle.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look here then;

http://www.opticsplanet.com/riflescopes.html
Old 12-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

2-7x32 or 3-9x40 would be my choice. Not lower end, but doesn't need to break the bank. Something of decent quality... like Leupold, Redfield, Sightron, Nikon, Vortex, etc. You can get a damn good scope that will do everything you need for $200-$300. I personally like the duplex reticles, rather than the BDC types...but that is personal preference. SWFA or Optics Planet have nice prices, often some excellent sales. Get a decent base and ring, not sure what folks prefer for that rifle. I like Warne, Leupold, Weaver.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Daniel72,
My two cents worth, which is only worth one cent in today's economy, is get a Simmons Prodiamond. Its inexpensive, works great, quite clear, and looks good. I put one of these on my CVA Accura ver. 1 because my old eyes can't focus very well on the front and the back iron sights while focusing on the target. I use my muzzleloader in very wooded areas out of tree standS where shots are rarely over thirty yards maybe fifty at times. Although I paid like $70 for the scope I have never felt like I was short changed or was using inferior tools. I'm sure there are others with varing opinions, however, this is my experience!

Good luck and be safe!