Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Remington 742 woodsmaster 30/06 >

Remington 742 woodsmaster 30/06

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Remington 742 woodsmaster 30/06

Old 08-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Remington 742 woodsmaster 30/06

I have an older model Remington 742 woodsmaster 30/06. What would be a good scope mount for this rifle? It has the old style see through mount on it and I dont really care for it would like to put a lower mount on it.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, remove the darn see-thru mount. Then, I'd put just a nice little 4X, long ER scope on it. One of the nicest I've used was an IOR. Great glass. Of course Leupold has good ones also in their FX series.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold, Warne, Weaver, Talley, etc. all make good mounts and rings. I would get the lowest rings that will allow clearance of the scope.

Some guys do not like to see the image of the front sight when they look through the scope. The front sight image does not interfere with scope use but if that bothers you look at medium height rings to minimize the effect. The other solution is to simply remove the front sight (you can not use it anyway) and go with a "clean" barrel.

With the high rings like those awful see-through models you have to raise your head to see through them and do not get a good "cheek weld". It will cost you a few dollars to get good rings and bases but it is well worth it.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good move getting rid of the see-throughs. There are several very good mount systems out there. Most of my rifles have the Leupold style or Warne style systems. As far as a scope, I suggest keeping the scope as compact as you can. An excellent quality 4X is fine, as would be something like a 1.5-6 x 32 mm or 40 mm. Whatever yoiu do, buy the best scope that you can afford.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Spike

I just put a new scope and mount on my 742. I will never use anything but DNZ mounts.....they are the best.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by lleclair; 08-23-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

I have 15 big game rifles & have just about any mount you can name on at least one of them: Sako Opti-Loc, DNZ, Warne, Talley, Redfield/Leupy, Burris, Weaver etc... The only system I refuse to use are the standard Redfield style that utilize the rear wind age bolts to attach the rear ring. I've had those come loose enough that I switched everything to dual-dovetails, Weaver style, Leupy quick detach (on my muzzleloaders particularly) etc... For your 742 the basic Weaver setup is fine & if you aren't 100% sold on them then pick the Weaver Grand Slam rings as they are steel. I've never had a problem with any of my Weaver styles, I just assemble them properly & use blue Loc-tite!

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 08-24-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

On my LH 742 I had a one pc Weaver base and medium height rings and a 2-7x scope. Worked well close or far.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

As for bases and rings, the Weaver style is about the strongest you can get. A 1-4x or 2-7x scope would be a nice scope for that rifle.