Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Cool sight

Old 05-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Cool sight

Picked this sight up and mounted it on my Marlin 1895 Cowboy. Bulls eye fiber optic sight.
Really gives you a wide field of view. Only don't be mislead by the pic. The inner ring is not as sharp as it appears in the pic but is more of a blurred ring. Still easy to center the front sight for fine shooting. Also the bridge is not quite high enough. I was on the last notch before I got my ammo hitting at the correct elevation. I solved that problem by drilling an tapping the rear sight leaf and put in a 8-32 set screw to raise and lower the sight using the bridge as a buffer between the screw and barrel to keep from scratching the barrel. But this may be caused by my load (35 gr of H4198 and 405 gr. cast bullet) because I had the same trouble with the stock buckhorn sight. I may just drill and tap that one too. I am still working on a load for this rifle and just loaded the same bullets up with 50 gr of IMR3031.

Last edited by bronko22000; 05-09-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

I would think that sight would be great on one of my black powder rifle for hunting. Especially on a longer shot where elevation gets covered up by the rear sight.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:26 AM
Banned

the way I understand it. that sight would not be legal for blackpower here in idaho.neither are powder pellets or sabots and many inline guns. they must have exsposed nipple.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackelk
I would think that sight would be great on one of my black powder rifle for hunting. Especially on a longer shot where elevation gets covered up by the rear sight.
You bring up a good point. When I do get it sighted in I am going to see what the POI is if I put the fiber optic atop of the inner circle. That may be perfect for a 150-200 yard shot.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by kidoggy
the way I understand it. that sight would not be legal for blackpower here in idaho.neither are powder pellets or sabots and many inline guns. they must have exsposed nipple.
Its a fine line between this being a peep or open sight. Probably more of a peep sight. Not sure what your laws are.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko, If I remember correctly the defining part of a "peep" site is any thing that encircles a rear view. So that would definitely be considered a peep site. Looks like a nice rig though.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

No doubt that is a pep sight in PA. They did make them legal in the flintlock season several years ago.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Bronko, If I remember correctly the defining part of a "peep" site is any thing that encircles a rear view. So that would definitely be considered a peep site. Looks like a nice rig though.
Originally Posted by Oldtimr
No doubt that is a pep sight in PA. They did make them legal in the flintlock season several years ago.
That's what I pretty much figured. And I know that they are now legal in PA's primitive season. My flinters and caplocks all sport peeps now. Accuracy is greatly improved. IMO I think I can shoot a peep sighted rifle as well as a scoped one out to at least 50 yards. Even with these old eyes.