Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
5 Best and Worst Scopes by Price Range for 2015 >

5 Best and Worst Scopes by Price Range for 2015

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

5 Best and Worst Scopes by Price Range for 2015

Old 05-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

The $100-$300 category represents a pretty big range. I picked up a Minox ZV3 last year for about $130. Not a bad scope, adjustments are a little mushy. Three or four years ago I bought a Vortex Viper for just under $300 (probably hard to find that price today). I like it a lot better, everything's crisper--from the adjustments to the view. I also own a Nikon Omega and Slughunter, which are decent scopes for the price (mid $200s as I recall). Before that I had 2 Bushnell Banner dusk-to-dawns, both failed, I assume they couldn't stand up to the recoil of my slug gun or muzzy.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have four Leupold scopes: 3 VariX-III and 1 VX-III (the VX-III is the subsequent generation of the VariX-III). They are all 3.5-10x with 40 mm objective lenses with a duplex reticle. These scopes all cost in the $450-$500 price range. I have been using these scopes for 13 years now and have always found them suitable for the hunting I do. When twilight is closing in at night, I find that the scope is bright enough to target items when the light is dim enough that I can no longer see well enough to hunt. Thus, it may be that there are brighter scopes, but I cannot see any advantage to these scopes when legal shooting light starts 30 minutes before sun-up and ends 30 minutes after sun-down.

I'm sure there are plenty of other good scopes out there.

I lost a turret cap (left at a rifle range in Durango when sighting in before an elk hunt) and called Leupold to buy some replacements. They sent me two replacement caps free.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

[I lost a turret cap (left at a rifle range in Durango when sighting in before an elk hunt) and called Leupold to buy some replacements. They sent me two replacement caps free.[/QUOTE]

There may be other companies with as good a record for customer service, but I bet not many.

Eight years ago I sent in a M-7 fixed 4X b/c I had chipped the ocular lens and also found the scope to be cloudy (after I bubb'ad around with it.) BTW, the scope in question was at least 50 years old when I contacted Leupold about helping with the problems. I sent them a letter stating my guilt in chipping the lens and breaking the seal on it. I requested that they send me a detailed price list of the work they could do to bring it back to spec and that I would be happy to pay whatever it took as the scope was both a good tool and a sentimental piece from my grandfather.

2 weeks later the scope arrived back on my doorstep with a brand new ocular lens and ocular piece, and clear as heck. NO CHARGE!!!

There just aren't many companies (in any country) that still operate like that. I'm a lifelong fan of Leupold.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 07-17-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is not answereing the question directly .... but .... my eyesight prevented me from being proficient with open sights past about 100 yards some 35 +/- years ago. Since then I have owned scopes carrying 16 different brand names ... and across a very wide range of MSRP. Several of the scopes I forked over my hard earned cash were a total waste of my dollars. And ALL of these were "economy" priced scopes. Like a lot of other guys I know, when I first decided to mount a scope on my "deer rifle", I did not understand the "value" of quality optics. I estimate that I wasted upwards of $1000 on "economy" optics ... two of which (some $350 worth) completely crapped out in the field.

Look, I am sensitive to the fact that buying a scope costing $500-$600 hundred dollars is just not practical for many hunters. The way I look at it is that if all you can spend is $100 or if you have a deep pocket and can drop $2K, doesn't matter .... as long as it is the best you can do. Do the research. Take heed of the advice of experienced hunters, not some hype filled ad in a news print catalogue. Go with a long proven brand. Buy the best you can afford. You will not go wrong if you go that route.

Just my opinion ... no science .... the Bushnell Elite and Leupold Vari X-III series scopes are very good values. I have an "old" Elite 4200 on my muzzle loader and an "old" Vari-X III compact on my 444 Marlin Guide. Both are more than adequate. My personal favorite and on my No.1 deer rifle, and in my opinion a lot of scope for the money ... a Swarovski Z3. Very clear and crisp, and very good in low light.

Last edited by Mojotex; 09-03-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. Under $100
Had an old Tasco on a .22. Wouldn't recommend it.

2. $100 - $300.
I bought two Simmons Aetec. They were actually a pretty good scope for the price. Still have one on my muzzleloader and sold the other still in good working condition.

3. $300 - $500.
I have a Leupold VII (I think) 3x9. Solid scope. Put it on my daughter's rifle.

4. $500 - $1,000.
I have two Swarovski Z3 4x12x50s. One on a 30-06 and the other on a 300 Win Mag. Incredible glass and well worth the price.

5. Over $1,000.
I don't own have any over 1K.