Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Bipod for a 308 win?

Old 03-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two things that stick out for me when guys criticize long distance hunters is this:

When is the last time you saw a deer 1,000yrds from any cover?

How many shot opportunities REALLY exist for 600yrds+ in your terrain?

Adding range to your shot doesn't really always add acres of huntable kill-zone. It's not like a guy can draw a 1,000yrd circle around their position and expect game to ever cross 90% of it. It can give you the ability to access multiple spots where game might travel at once, but by and large, all of the space between is wasted. I have a few hunting spots where I can pick my range and take a shot anywhere from 50yrds to 500-700yrds, but moving back doesn't actually add any more huntable kill zone. The deer will still only travel the same ravines and feed in the same small patch.

Go find a spot where you really think you'd have a 600yrd shot in the field on game. Sure, I can go out to the ONE HILL in western Kansas and see for miles and miles, but the reality is that game won't be traveling in the flats. 250lb muleys out there manage to hide themselves in the low-lines, and entire herds of antelope can conceal themselves behind a gentle crown.

Stand hunting for big game is ambush hunting. You wait in an advantageous position for your target animal to enter a desired kill zone. It doesn't matter if you're 20ft away or 2 miles, you're still relying upon the game entering your predetermined kill-zone to offer you a shot.

Terrain is also a big hurdle. I've hunted in several states and across various terrain, and whether you're in the mountains or in Flatlandia, finding shots where you have real visibility that far is incredibly rare. Ridge's pictures illustrate how little the actual kill zone really is, even if you're a LONG ways away. In the picture behind his rifle, the entire hillside in front of him is obscured by trees, with very little ground visibility, meaning his visibility and opportunity for shots on deer are very limited. In the picture of the valley with the small grassy opening, you're looking at several acres in the picture, with less than about 10% of the hillside open for a shot on game.

Long range hunting is NOT the same thing as painting a 1,000yrd circle around yourself and killing anything that crosses into that circle. If you want to kill a deer as it walks down a rub-line to a watering hole, it doesn't matter if you're 10yrds away or 1,000yrds away - you simply need a spot where you have a clear line of sight to THAT kill zone.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ridge's pictures illustrate how little the actual kill zone really is, even if you're a LONG ways away. In the picture behind his rifle, the entire hillside in front of him is obscured by trees, with very little ground visibility, meaning his visibility and opportunity for shots on deer are very limited.
there are 2 places there where you will see deer, to the left the county once checked for limestone to see about putting a quarry there, kind of an old roadbed you can see at 9 o'clock, then the 40 yard band of open timber at the top of the ridge straight ahead, have laid many many bucks to rest up there, the last one was a 3 yo 8 point at 470 yards, laying in his bed, as I scanned the timber with binocs, he flicked an ear, he never got to his feet
In the picture of the valley with the small grassy opening, you're looking at several acres in the picture, with less than about 10% of the hillside open for a shot on game.
This spot is intense, deer can appear anywhere and varies from year to year, you want to be successful here, keep the glass busy, lots of places you can see deer lots of places to shoot but its threading the needle through the trees. some years they skirt the field, others all the action in almost on the ridgetops, I don't shoot them skylined. also to the right is a wide open valley they squirt accrossed a lot, have killed 2 good bucks crossing it. all the while 50 yards to my left is a 4 lane highway going through a cut where the wind just rips through you, its a good place but have spent many miserale hours here hands so cold you just can't hold the binocs, but the success I've enjoyed here makes me forget about the misery.
RR
Old 03-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the Harris. The best bi pods I have ever used.

Last edited by fritz1; 03-07-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Harris must be top notch....I thought the 9"-13" Caldwell was adequate for prone shooting on level ground. I will get a taller Harris bipod when I upgrade.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Banned

My favorite bipod is made by Harris.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Spike

X2 Haris is the best bipod

Last edited by John_1979; 12-20-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure if they still make them but I got a Vers-a-pod many years ago and I really like it. The base installs on you front sling stud and you can still attach your sling. the bipod itself can be removed and carried in your pack until you need it. And you can get two lengths, one for lying and and another for sitting-kneeling and they are interchangeable. Plus you can buy additional bases for your other rifles.

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-15-2017 at 07:00 PM.