Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Bipod for a 308 win?

Old 03-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

+2 what NM says, from my experience the 3 most common causes for inconsistent shooting at distance are improper parralex/focus setting, not preloading the pod, and not having the rifle level.
This group was shot off a harris bipod with a rear support at a lazered 752 yards

RR
Old 03-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good shooting RR and that definitely shows a bipod works fine if the guy behind the gun knows what he's doing! I also think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned having that rear support, as that really goes a long way in cutting the "wobbles" down. I think most have no idea how much that helps settle in on the target than just having the support out on the forearm.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-06-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

RR,

I knew that Harris bipod "comment" was going to raise the hair on a few peoples necks ?!?!

LOL
Old 03-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

my rear support is basicly a "cheese wedge" of closed cell foam covered in clothits 9"wx12"L and thickness tapers from 2 to 5 inches, I use this because if I set the 9-13" bipod in the third notch I can slide the rear support to shoot from level to the top of most ridges here, saves me valueable time setting up the shot. here is a pic, IIRC that deer was taken at 702 yards

RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 03-06-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

That rig sure looks capable.

So the window of opportunity opens and close quickly for you too ?!?!

Most shots you shoot prone ?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
That rig sure looks capable.

Most shots you shoot prone ?
as always there is a lot to do in just a little time, so anything that saves seconds is a plus, I always shoot prone.
RR
Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with Ridge on this one best pod I've ever used. I've bought others and larger models. I like the Harris 9"-13".
Old 03-07-2015, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Ridge come out west and get into some of these 1000 yard competitions I'd bet you'd do very well. Very well indeed. That 752 yard group is beyond impressive.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan

I glass the wooded ridges here in eastern wv, once I spot a potential target, the wind has been measured and entered, bar pressure entered I then range the target, and set the rifle up about 1/2 the time finding the target in the scope just never happens before it moves a good distance and then it must be found again in the binocs, marked, then ranged then reset the rifle up. about 50% of the game I would take is never seen again, they walk behind a tree and never come out.
one the instance I find the game in the scope I again range it, check the charts, verify my drop/drift, then settle down on the rifle, and watch, watch for that 1/2second window, when by watching the targets body language and demeaner I know they will not take a step during the TOF. all the while watching through the bullet path and take note of any variences in the wind in the bullet path, usually I make a minute wind adjustment as I see the window start to develop, by this time I have determined if I have a 90% or greater chance of making the shot, if so I check the level, hold low on the target and load the pod (lean into the rifle with about the rifles weigh of pressure) this brings the crosshair up on the target and takes the spring and flex out of the pod, then take the shot during the window, if not I abort the shot, and many times the window never appears and the target just walks out of site, when the trigger breaks its like that old ketchup commercial waiting to see the impact.
one of my favorite glassing spots, have taken a couple dozen deer from here, couple fall turkeys shots run to around 750 yds.

another, killed 19 bucks and a bear here

this spot max's out at 550'ish

RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 03-07-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Ridge come out west and get into some of these 1000 yard competitions I'd bet you'd do very well. Very well indeed. That 752 yard group is beyond impressive.
I think it was also beyond luck, haven't broke 3" since, but I did it once, so I'm keepin it.
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.